Esteemed Contributor

Part of my sig is "The more I learn the more I realize how little I know." That was brought home again today when I heard the final Jeopardy question on today's (repeat) morning show.

It asked who owns Devon Island, the world's largest uninhabited island. Of course I was wrong thinking that it was England (because of the Devon name); it is owned by Canada.

Never having heard of Devon Island and wondering why it is so large yet uninhabited I went on a search and discovered this site with information about Devon Island:  amusingplanet.com/2016/05/devon-island-mars-on-earth.html

Discovering that site not only taught me a little bit about Devon Island it turned out to be a treasure trove of what I consider somewhat esoteric information. The problem with finding sites like Amusing Planet is that I can get lost seeking more information about something that piques my interest which, of course, leads to even more seeking.

Now if I could only retain a quarter of what I learn from sites like this. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Good for you. It is a good goal to learn something new every day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp  I would have flunked that quiz, too! Smiley Happy

I know what you mean about research.... That's me! I think I am researching about an "artist" (I teach college music, and call everyone that) and something crops up which leads me down a rabbit hole.

I've been in so many rabbit holes over the past few years. (No wonder I like carrots!)  Sometimes it is actually painful in knowing. Then I find it challenging in how and how much to present to my students. I hope I stretch their curious minds!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I know what you mean about research.... That's me! I think I am researching about an "artist" (I teach college music, and call everyone that) and something crops up which leads me down a rabbit hole.

I've been in so many rabbit holes over the past few years. (No wonder I like carrots!)  Sometimes it is actually painful in knowing. Then I find it challenging in how and how much to present to my students. I hope I stretch their curious minds!

@Harpa,  rabbit hole is a good descriptive as far as it goes.  Unfortunately and fortunately once I get started that rabbit hole turns into an underground maze of off ramps.  Links are the bane of my research existence.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp  That's my problem, too...retaining everything I read.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@Harpa,  rabbit hole is a good descriptive as far as it goes.  Unfortunately and fortunately once I get started that rabbit hole turns into an underground maze of off ramps.  Links are the bane of my research existence.

@Marp, I can so relate to that!   I can start with reading one source and then hours later.....well you know the story.  LOL!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

My husband knows more interesting but useless and bizarre facts than anyone I know.

I tell him that our brain's chief function is to sort and discard useless information.  And his doesn't work very well.

He's a life saver at parties.  His has a great talent for keeping the conversation going and people laughing. When people start wondering about something I am just waiting to see what he'll come up with!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

We're supposed to live up to our sigs?Woman Indifferent No one told me! Quick gotta go change mine to "Well she tries really hard."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

We're supposed to live up to our sigs?Woman Indifferent No one told me! Quick gotta go change mine to "Well she tries really hard."

@Porcelain   That would be me also! 🤣. One thing I’m certain is that I’ve learned so much from the ladies and gents on these forums, like beauty, fashion, recipes, etc. I have worked with a doctor and though we know they are smart, he knew things that always amazed me. I have a brother who is the same way. 

Honored Contributor

Isn't it fun to search and learn and see new things!!?  We should never stop learning.