Esteemed Contributor

Thousands of pounds of ground beef sold at Walmart and other stores across the country were recalled Saturday due to potential E. coli contamination, the USDA says.

The recall accounts for nearly 43,000 pounds of beef sold under brand names Marketside Butcher Organic Grass-Fed Ground Beef Patties, Thomas Farms Grass-Fed Ground Beef Patties and Value Pack Fresh Ground Beef and produced June 1 by New Jersey company Lakeside Refrigerated Services, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

The possible contamination was discovered during a routine check by the Food Safety and Inspection Service, the recall notice said.

The products listed on the recall are marked "EST. 46481." The USDA urged consumers to check refrigerators or freezers for the affected products.

For a detailed list of recalled products and more information, click here.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ground Beef RECALL

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

Thousands of pounds of ground beef sold at Walmart and other stores across the country were recalled Saturday due to potential E. coli contamination, the USDA says.

The recall accounts for nearly 43,000 pounds of beef sold under brand names Marketside Butcher Organic Grass-Fed Ground Beef Patties, Thomas Farms Grass-Fed Ground Beef Patties and Value Pack Fresh Ground Beef and produced June 1 by New Jersey company Lakeside Refrigerated Services, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

The possible contamination was discovered during a routine check by the Food Safety and Inspection Service, the recall notice said.

The products listed on the recall are marked "EST. 46481." The USDA urged consumers to check refrigerators or freezers for the affected products.

For a detailed list of recalled products and more information, click here.

A huge thank you. I was just online filling my cart and deciding if I should order ground beef for them. When I wa n the a Food recalls site, yesterday, this ground beef recal wasn't listed yet. I was especially nerestedin the 85/15.

Honored Contributor

uh oh.....just purchased ground beef today at sams club.

will have to check out exactly what i purchased.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Now I'm thinking twice about purchasing some of the other items in my cart in case of cross contamination. Meat and poultry sitting on the same tables in the kitchen area in the butcher section where the workers are. I think I'll get only the dry, fresh in refrigerated or frozen items right now. 

Honored Contributor

I buy all of my meat, produce from local farmers. I never have to worry about recalls whatsoever! Support your locals ladies!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I worked for a midwest grocery store chain for 4 years after retiring. They always knew about recalls before it was public and immediately pulled whatever brand or product it was from the shelves.  I never saw a recall for their own store brand but saw some for well known national brands.   

If WalMart functions as a smaller chain does, it pulled that ground beef from the shelves long before news of the recall was public.

Honored Contributor

How can the grass fed gr. beef be included in this? It should be an entirely separate thing!!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I buy all of my meat, produce from local farmers. I never have to worry about recalls whatsoever! Support your locals ladies!!

Don't be fooled. You do still have to worry about the same issues in food safety and safe food handling. Just because it is local doesn't mean it isn't possible for the same issues to occur. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

How can the grass fed gr. beef be included in this? It should be an entirely separate thing!!

@Judaline,  Why?

E coli is found in the intestinal tracts of all warm blooded mammals including humans.

Consider  that grass fed beef are exposed not only their own droppings but also droppings from other animals, all of which likely contain varying amounts of a variety of e coli bacteria.

Lettuce, spinach, romaine and a variety of other vegetables have been recalled for e coli contamination so why not grass fed beef.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Ground Beef RECALL

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worked for a midwest grocery store chain for 4 years after retiring. They always knew about recalls before it was public and immediately pulled whatever brand or product it was from the shelves.  I never saw a recall for their own store brand but saw some for well known national brands.   

If WalMart functions as a smaller chain does, it pulled that ground beef from the shelves long before news of the recall was public.

I remember when there was a big recall of Sabra hummus. I was in my Walmart Supercenter after reading the recall notice from the FDA, and TONS of the affected Sabra were sitting in two separate cases at my Walmart. I told the manager; next time I went, it was still there. So I have no confidence in their prompt response to a recall, even with something being sold under their own label.

Back to hamburger, this is why I buy only  store-ground meat. I've never seen a recall on it. Tons of recalls on tubes of ground meat from Cargill, and now this.