Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery store over charge

I ask for a copy of my reciept before I pay, they don't like it but I don't care, I find mistakes quite frequently especially with younger cashiers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

I ask for a copy of my reciept before I pay, they don't like it but I don't care, I find mistakes quite frequently especially with younger cashiers.

“..younger cashiers”.

What does age have to do with it?

And what business has the old timey punch-in-the-amount cash till?

Even in my hometown of no-stop-sign, the little grocery has the scan.  

Cashiers of all ages just scan & go.  No age attached to price check.

Unless someone is still,living in, oh,1980.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

“..younger cashiers”.

What does age have to do with it?

And what business has the old timey punch-in-the-amount cash till?

Even in my hometown of no-stop-sign, the little grocery has the scan.  

Cashiers of all ages just scan & go.  No age attached to price check.

Unless someone is still,living in, oh,1980.

A lot, and I know this because this because retail is my area of expertise.  If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Honored Contributor

With Greenstamps! Those young whipper-snappers...

1C666421-CB84-4FBD-B7AD-593EE30C5599.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to Whole Foods because of the buy out from Amazon and a few items I chose had sale prices on the shelf.  When I reached the register those few items were rungup well above that price and I stopped the checker right then. The checker closed her lane and she and another employee walked over to the isle and told me that the sale ended yesterday and someone had failed to remove those prices. They graciously gave me the sale prices and then in a harsh tone of voice barked out orders to remove those prices to another associate.  Odd to say the least.  Not sure I want to go back.  

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I would speak to the store manager before taking it any higher.  In my experience, it's best (and more efficient) to bring it to his/her attention and provide the opportunity for the problem to be resolved.  It's a simple error that most likely can be easily fixed, but not by talking to random CS people.

I never, ever leave a store without checking the receipt, and if I find a discrepancy, I immediately go to CS.  99% of the time, it's resolved there.  I can count on one hand the amount of times I had to ask for a manager, but when I did the problem was taken care of immediately. 

@NYC Susan    @SeaMaiden

ITA Susan .... you always bring it to the store management first and give them a chance to correct the problem.  Plus, in instances where someone requires more training, contacting the corporate website (or calling) won't do anything to identify where the problem in the store actually began.

Honored Contributor

One of the worst offenders for overcharging is hobby Lobby.  Unless they've changed since I was last there several years ago, the have these old_fashioned non programable cash registers.  They have weekly advertised specials but you'd better watch the cashier like a hawk because if they're not programed in her head, she won't give you the sale price.  If you speak up and remind her, she'll pull out a copy of their ad and scrutinize it to see if you're truthful.  If she finds it, then you get the sale price.  They probably cheat more people than any other store in my experience.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I shop at Vons once a week and always watch the check out but also check the receipt after I've left the line and moved forward.  If I see any price overcharges, I step back and notify the cashier.  

I've had overcharges twice in the past year, and both times they refunded me the full amount of that item.   I say good for them.  Mistakes happen.

Super Contributor

I check my receipt right away after shopping and almost always find at least one mistake.  I go right to CS.  Prices on the shelf are tagged by the stores "price-checker" and his/her team on a  weekly basis the night before the sales.  Not sure if that person is then responsible for putting them into the system ( I would assume so).    

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

If all they are doing is scanning an item, it isn't their fault. What are they supposed to do, memorize the entire sale circular for the week and then have to pay attention to what they are scanning?  Imagine how long it would take to check out. 

The fault lies with the person that is updating the system.