Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery store over charge

[ Edited ]

For me, the worst offender has been Walgreens.

Esteemed Contributor

We all know "mistakes happen" but isn't it odd that those mistakes are just about never in the customers favor?  I worked as a grocery cashier and saw waaay too many mistakes in the store's favor. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I can believe it.  I've seen my Safeway store scan wrong prices consistently.  The last time, I wrote an email to corporate, and didn't even get a reply.  I don't shop there anymore.  Their errors, as well as the long lines and the insistence that we use self checkout (which we can't do if we're buying any type of alcoholic beverage) have led me to avoid this store.

There are plenty of other places where I can shop!

Honored Contributor

Remember....it works both ways.

If you’re UNDERcharged, it needs to be pointed out, as well.

I was at Whole Foods & purchased their Hannah Sweet Potatoes,

normally like $2/lb.  The cashier rang them up at the normal 

conventional russet potato.  She gave me the final amount

and I said, ‘That’s too low....I owe you more money!’  

She apologized...and just gave me the potatoes at the lower price.

Doing the right thing is doing the right thing. 

Honored Contributor

Glad I don't eat it. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Remember....it works both ways.

If you’re UNDERcharged, it needs to be pointed out, as well.

I was at Whole Foods & purchased their Hannah Sweet Potatoes,

normally like $2/lb.  The cashier rang them up at the normal 

conventional russet potato.  She gave me the final amount

and I said, ‘That’s too low....I owe you more money!’  

She apologized...and just gave me the potatoes at the lower price.

Doing the right thing is doing the right thing. 

@sidsmom Yes, I'm sure most here do that. We once didn't get charged for a $300 item at a home improvement store, realized it on the way to the car, and went back in to correct the error. They did let us pay that time Cat Wink Just this morning I pointed out to a cashier that he had neglected to charge us for part of our order.

Respected Contributor

Safeway brought out Albertson's or maybe the other way around but I notice some safeway & albertson's stores have closed, we still have a few around, sad to see a huge grocery store buildings sitting there empty. I ususally go to fry's (kroger) for major shopping would go into albertson or safeway if I just needed a few things because it was always empty so easy to get in & out.

Honored Contributor

So many people have unfortunate experiences with businesses and never report it to the corporate headquarters.  It's so easy to do now with email and online forms. Look at all the people QVC has scammed out of that $6.95 shipping charge when they had defective items or paid at the PO.  I bet not one person out of potentially millions reported them to the FTC.   If you let them take advantage of you, they will.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Like some here I too have marched right back into a store to let them know they didn't charge me for an item.  One time it was at a Hallmark for a larger purchase, my kids were with me and I explained to them it was important to do the right thing.  I'll never forget going into that store and the response of the employee, not a thank you or whatever you please...she seemed outright amazed and annoyed at the same time.  I think sometimes what you run into with employees when even asking for refunds for overpriced items is that let's face it, some of them and I'm sure not most are purely annoyed because they view you as making more work for them. 

As far as stores overcharging sale items.  Many times I wonder if they care and program it into their systems.  Everytime I go shop the sales I watch the register like a hawk so I don't have to go to customer service.  It happens that frequently here.  Personally if I worked in these places I would study the weekly sales myself so that even if I didn't have everything memorized I would at least have an idea of what the customer might have a complaint about.

Honored Contributor

make sure your husband (or whoever is shopping) is putting in your loyalty card OR your phone number. it is the first thing i do when i am checking out.

i watch as everything is being rung up and generally never leave the store if i think something is rung up wrong. if i do find something wrong with my receipt i call the store immediately. i may not get back there the same day, but i write on my receipt who i have spoken to and what the problem was.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein