Trusted Contributor

Re: Grocery prices, yet again

Quit drinking soda, that is a rip off what they charge for that!  Good for the tariffs, I do not want to eat anything made in China or any food in containers from China.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm east of Atlanta, and I'd say most prices are pretty good to great.  I'm having trouble finding good sirloin, but that's my only issue.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I’m noticing more of an increase in restaurant prices, than at the grocery store.  

Oh yeah!  I was shocked that the small portion of Parmesan crusted chicken at Longhorn's is now $12.29.  No plan to go back.  Five Guys is always going up.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I, the Aldi shopper, can tell you that, as per my spreadsheet (yes, I do keep one), that prices on the majority of what I purchase have doubled and tripled since this time last year. 

I rarely buy processed items. I prefer to purchase fresh ingredients and make everything. This time last year when cool weather arrived, I bought the makings for beef stew. Went last week with cash in hand based on the prices from last year and added another 10 dollars. At the register, I didn't get HALF of what I needed because I was already over the amount of cash I had brought. That night, I started looking at costs from last year and saw that bit by bit, a little here and a little there, 99% of what I buy had doubled.

Today, a woman in front of me had the following (I waved her ahead as I had a full cart and she was carrying these items):

3 bags of Aldi's Special Edition chips (.84 cents a bag)

1 large pack of Coke Cola cans ($4.99 for 12 cans).

I'm thinking to myself "yep, that's $8 with tax. They really need an Express line here. Hope I have enough bags" and that kinda stuff. I heard the woman gasp. "HOW MUCH?!" I heard her say loudly. The cashier replied $19 and something. The woman said "You guys are now the same price as Giant. Not worth shopping here any more. See ya" and she walked out.

Now, I remember buying those chips a few weeks ago for one of sons' Birthday as well as soda. And I remember the bags costing .84 cents and the sodas around $5; the price I listed is based on my spread sheet from August. Today? Those same chips are now $2.84 PER bag and the case of soda is $9.98. 

What the heck?!

I've noticed I don't see military families any more at Aldi's; used to see them all the time. That's because Aldi was cheaper than the commissary at our local base as per one of my neighbors. Not anymore. 

I mentioned this to the cashier and she sighed wearily and told me how they are hearing this all the time. People are angry. Prices are going up rapidly and in big jumps. She whispered to me "it's going to get MUCH worse. That's what our manager told us".

I have no doubt. *heavy sigh*

As an Aldi shopper that was just there today, it's not happening here.  The prices were great.

Honored Contributor

I have an idea food prices are high most every where. I live in a mostly agricultural area and the prices of everything have gone up steadily over the past few years. Any produce, meat and dairy grown organically is almost cost prohibitive in the store and even from the farm stands and farmers markets. I know I wonder how the average person, let alone the poor, feed a family. I grow my own melons, squashes, greens, beans,tomatoes,cukes organically and give away what I don't sell at my farm stand at my residence. My prices are fair at the farm stand because I'm not trying to make a living from my labor.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have seen it and would say dramatically from a few years ago...all across the board.

What really angers me is beef.  Because of the drought in the midwest quite some time ago, ranchers sold off their cattle because there wasn't enough water.  Of course, prices of beef went sky high.  Then when it began raining, ranchers replenished their herds, prices didn't come back down.  It's all a scam.

Also, rather than making sure there's enough beef for United States, it appears we must feed China causing less for Americans.  Beef prices are kept high so we don't buy as much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

12 cans of soda (pop) for $5 is 42 cents/can.....now maybe it used to be $3 for 12 cans, but if 42 cents/can is too much, then don't buy it. Stop at the gas station and pay $2 for big gulp, or the coffee shop and pay $4 for a latte! Have prices increased? Yes, I've noticed that they have but I either watch for sale items in the grocery flyers that are sent to me weekly, or I cut back on some of the more expensive snack items that we like (but don't need)!

One of my big expenses is cat food (wet/dry) and kitty litter for 4 kitties...and a few bottles of wine! LOL! I look for sale prices, but I also buy what I want or need. I'm thankful that I'm not in a position to have to worry about what I buy. I've cut way back on Q purchases, so I guess I make it up on food, my cats and wine!

@jannabelle1 

Yep, kitties and their products are expensive, BUT they are definitely WORTH IT....Cat Very Happy Heart

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I, the Aldi shopper, can tell you that, as per my spreadsheet (yes, I do keep one), that prices on the majority of what I purchase have doubled and tripled since this time last year. 

I rarely buy processed items. I prefer to purchase fresh ingredients and make everything. This time last year when cool weather arrived, I bought the makings for beef stew. Went last week with cash in hand based on the prices from last year and added another 10 dollars. At the register, I didn't get HALF of what I needed because I was already over the amount of cash I had brought. That night, I started looking at costs from last year and saw that bit by bit, a little here and a little there, 99% of what I buy had doubled.

Today, a woman in front of me had the following (I waved her ahead as I had a full cart and she was carrying these items):

3 bags of Aldi's Special Edition chips (.84 cents a bag)

1 large pack of Coke Cola cans ($4.99 for 12 cans).

I'm thinking to myself "yep, that's $8 with tax. They really need an Express line here. Hope I have enough bags" and that kinda stuff. I heard the woman gasp. "HOW MUCH?!" I heard her say loudly. The cashier replied $19 and something. The woman said "You guys are now the same price as Giant. Not worth shopping here any more. See ya" and she walked out.

Now, I remember buying those chips a few weeks ago for one of sons' Birthday as well as soda. And I remember the bags costing .84 cents and the sodas around $5; the price I listed is based on my spread sheet from August. Today? Those same chips are now $2.84 PER bag and the case of soda is $9.98. 

What the heck?!

I've noticed I don't see military families any more at Aldi's; used to see them all the time. That's because Aldi was cheaper than the commissary at our local base as per one of my neighbors. Not anymore. 

I mentioned this to the cashier and she sighed wearily and told me how they are hearing this all the time. People are angry. Prices are going up rapidly and in big jumps. She whispered to me "it's going to get MUCH worse. That's what our manager told us".

I have no doubt. *heavy sigh*

As an Aldi shopper that was just there today, it's not happening here.  The prices were great.

As an Aldi shopper, yes, I had sticker shock this week!  Only on a few things, luckily.  Needed to stock up on evaporated milk, has always been .59 is now .89 a can.  Their version of the Durkee FF onions were always 1.89 a can, now 2.49 per can.  Most other things I bought remained the same price but those two things in particular I thought had a significant jump in price.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Tariffs.  Many of our food products contain components that come from China.

Shoekitty said

yes you are right.  Anything that contains corn, things made with corn, includes cereals, soy and many other things has risen.  I was told that last quarter that many vendors ate the tarriffs.  But will not from now on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I said before vendors and manufactuers were absorbing the loss and keeping prices same.  Now, no longer as Loss eats into profit too much.  Most of our food goes to china, and then back again.  The farmers cant produce a lot here, farms have folded. Farms are paid not to produce,   US used to sell most of the corn, soy, wheat grown here to china right after harvest.  China processed it, sent it back in forms of flour, grain, animal food. Then we would make something with it.  Remember if it is grown here, then sent to china or eleswhere and sent back again for us to make into something or package....it doesnt say china on packaging unless it is organic,  Although we produce almost as much soy as china, we send it there to process.  

I was honestly shocked how little food grown here, stays here.  I eat organic, and even there much is sent overseas for some part of the processing.  I coukdnt believe how all our corn is pulled out of the ground, sent to china, cooked, ground, powdered, etc etc and sent back to us.  We wrap a bow on it, put it in a can, bag, or freeze it.....it will say grown in USA... But man it has had a loooonnnnggg journey!