Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery prices, yet again

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

What are you buying that is going up in price?  Dairy? Snack foods? Produce? Canned items?  

@Sooner - a little bit of everything. Not much meat though. Dairy, deli, canned stuff, produce.  Just normal weekly grocery shopping. 

I haven’t put a lot of thought to it.  It’s more of a yikes thing when I see the total. More than it was even last year. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I’ve been getting good deal on chicken, but produce I’d through the roof.

I found better prices at a farmer’s market on produce.  If you have one near you, check it out.

Honored Contributor

I find meat prices here have gone up, and many other things also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I’ve been getting good deal on chicken, but produce I’d through the roof.

I found better prices at a farmer’s market on produce.  If you have one near you, check it out.

Around here (SE PA), farmers markets tend to be more expensive (much more!) than the supermarket.  I guess they figure we're willing to pay more for farm-fresh fruit and veggies than the stuff in the supermarket that's been shipped cross-country or from another continent.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I've noticed a hodgepodge.....some things have gone up a bit, while other popular items have a special label on the shelf that says, "we've lowered our everyday price".  

Our city is somewhat unique in that the major grocery chain, HEBs drove out all the major national grocery chains and the only competition that's left is Wally World, Target, Wholefoods, Trader Joes, Sprouts then there's Costco......Costco appears to be their biggest competition....

As of early 2018, H-E-B controlled nearly 60 percent of the South Texas market, which includes San Antonio as well as Austin, Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville. In second place was Walmart with about 27 percent of the market, followed by retailers and wholesalers like  Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Trader Joe’s.

What HEB does ----if they have HEB stores in the vicinity of competitors they reduce the prices in that store to beat the competition, but if a HEB store has no immedite competition then they raise the prices slightly for that store.....that's the game they play!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

If it comes in a plastic container, wrapped in plastic or has any other kind of plastic covering then expect to pay higher prices for those items. That has to do with China and the tariff situ.

Honored Contributor

I’m noticing more of an increase in restaurant prices, than at the grocery store.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Tariffs.  Many of our food products contain components that come from China.

Well, I guess if you're buying a lot of processed foods, but I don't think any of my fruits, veggies or fresh meat are coming from China. (ugh)  Cleaning products, maybe, or paper goods?  Now I'll have to go check because you've made me wonder.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

The only place I have seen grocery prices go up is Walmart! I had to go in there for a piece of pipe insulation for DH and picked up some bread and a few other things....$3.67 for the same bread/brand I get at Kroger for $2.88. Haven’t noticed prices going up at Costco or sprouts where I do most of my shopping. It is probably regional.
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If it comes in a plastic container, wrapped in plastic or has any other kind of plastic covering then expect to pay higher prices for those items. That has to do with China and the tariff situ.

OK, I think I see what you're saying.  My Daisy brand sour cream comes from Dallas, Texas, but the plastic container is made in China. So Daisy brand is paying more for the containers now. Personally, I don't like our dependence on China, so I'm willing to see higher prices on Chinese goods. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett