Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery prices, yet again

I would think produce prices are being affected by farmers who are hurting because of tariffs. They have to make money somehow or just go under.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I don’t like the sound of this!   Haven’t been in a grocery store for 3 weeks, and am not looking forward to going now!

Honored Contributor

I have a bunch of supermarkets where I can shop ... just depends on how far I want to walk.  Price from moderate to high.  

The closest has remodeled and changed ownership.  The prices have gone up.  But - we have to eat.   

Some things I won't go bargain hunting include medical care, dental care, eyeglasses, hearing aids and food.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There will be another round of tariffs on October 1.

This is from KTLA website posted Auguust 23 of this year.

"XXXX said he would be raising planned tariffs on $300 billion in Chinese goods from 10% to 15%. The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative also said existing tariffs on another $250 billion in Chinese imports would go from 25% to 30% on Oct. 1 after receiving feedback from the public."

"Tariff increases on Sept. 1 apply to 1,700 items ranging from frozen sweet corn, dried beef and pork liver to marble, other building materials and bicycle tires, according to the Chinese Finance Ministry."

So we have that to look forward to, just in time for the holidays, too!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I, the Aldi shopper, can tell you that, as per my spreadsheet (yes, I do keep one), that prices on the majority of what I purchase have doubled and tripled since this time last year. 

I rarely buy processed items. I prefer to purchase fresh ingredients and make everything. This time last year when cool weather arrived, I bought the makings for beef stew. Went last week with cash in hand based on the prices from last year and added another 10 dollars. At the register, I didn't get HALF of what I needed because I was already over the amount of cash I had brought. That night, I started looking at costs from last year and saw that bit by bit, a little here and a little there, 99% of what I buy had doubled.

Today, a woman in front of me had the following (I waved her ahead as I had a full cart and she was carrying these items):

3 bags of Aldi's Special Edition chips (.84 cents a bag)

1 large pack of Coke Cola cans ($4.99 for 12 cans).

I'm thinking to myself "yep, that's $8 with tax. They really need an Express line here. Hope I have enough bags" and that kinda stuff. I heard the woman gasp. "HOW MUCH?!" I heard her say loudly. The cashier replied $19 and something. The woman said "You guys are now the same price as Giant. Not worth shopping here any more. See ya" and she walked out.

Now, I remember buying those chips a few weeks ago for one of sons' Birthday as well as soda. And I remember the bags costing .84 cents and the sodas around $5; the price I listed is based on my spread sheet from August. Today? Those same chips are now $2.84 PER bag and the case of soda is $9.98. 

What the heck?!

I've noticed I don't see military families any more at Aldi's; used to see them all the time. That's because Aldi was cheaper than the commissary at our local base as per one of my neighbors. Not anymore. 

I mentioned this to the cashier and she sighed wearily and told me how they are hearing this all the time. People are angry. Prices are going up rapidly and in big jumps. She whispered to me "it's going to get MUCH worse. That's what our manager told us".

I have no doubt. *heavy sigh*

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Wow, at least in my area (North metro Atlanta) grocery prices are rising so fast I can’t keep up with them. I’ve especially noticed the rise in probably the last three months. 

I talked to my sister the other day, also in metro Atlanta, but another part, and she said the same thing. 

I know we’ve talked about grocery prices several times here fairly recently but I’m bored, LOL, so I thought I’d bring it up again.  It’s on my mind as I just got home from the grocery store 10 minutes ago. 

@gidgetgh 

What is there to "keep up with"?   Prices change all the time, from week to week.     Either buy it or don't buy it; then get something else.  Shop sales more closely.  Eat vegetarian twice a week.   Make adjustments.   

Personally, I do a lot of comparison shopping and find the price differences between stores to be more startling.   A favorite ice cream bar (pkg of 6) of mine was $5.49 at one store and $2.99 at another.   Same thing.   Go figure.  

Honored Contributor

I know better and started the thread anyway. I apparently will never learn.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I’ve been getting good deal on chicken, but produce I’d through the roof.

I found better prices at a farmer’s market on produce.  If you have one near you, check it out.

@Snoopp I have shopped a lot at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and local natural foods store for produce and went to the Farmer's market here a few times this year for watermelons.

I was surprised at how much higher the produce was than I was paying anywhere else at least at the farmer's market here in our town--and most was not organic.  

If you think farmer's markets veggies have fewer pesticides, chemicals on them think twice.  That is certainly not the case.  Small scale gardening/produce production is not necessarily easier, and certainly not cheaper and not as monitored as the large commercial growers.  Not just because it is small.

Smaller in farming is not necessarily more carefully produced. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the three stores I shop, avocadoes have gone from .99 on sale up to 2.99 regular price.  On the other side of the coin, beef, including decent steaks, and pork have been offered at great sale prices.  

Esteemed Contributor

12 cans of soda (pop) for $5 is 42 cents/can.....now maybe it used to be $3 for 12 cans, but if 42 cents/can is too much, then don't buy it. Stop at the gas station and pay $2 for big gulp, or the coffee shop and pay $4 for a latte! Have prices increased? Yes, I've noticed that they have but I either watch for sale items in the grocery flyers that are sent to me weekly, or I cut back on some of the more expensive snack items that we like (but don't need)!

One of my big expenses is cat food (wet/dry) and kitty litter for 4 kitties...and a few bottles of wine! LOL! I look for sale prices, but I also buy what I want or need. I'm thankful that I'm not in a position to have to worry about what I buy. I've cut way back on Q purchases, so I guess I make it up on food, my cats and wine!