Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery bills

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

@Spurt  I felt like I bought essentials only, nothing but food items.  It just adds up fast!

Oh well, I'm happy they offer the service.  I was lucky to get a slot since they are usually booked solid.  

The grocery bill just stings when you see it, especially coming on the heels of my HUGE property tax bill.  Ugh.

@Snoopp 

I understand what your saying...especially around property tax time...ARRRGGHHHH!!!!  

Even before the pandemic, I think overall grocery prices had started to climb, even when I shopped in store ..... it seemed everytime I went the prices had gone up...For example, my 98 cent tuna went to $1.11 then to $1.24 (it all adds up)...meat, produce, frozen items etc etc....every week the prices were higher and higher!!!!   

And in our city---our grocery store chain drove away major national grocery store chains and most of the competition so now we just have HEB and the smaller grocers---Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods, plus Walmart and Target....I wont pay for a Costco membership---but none of the stores offer real competition for the major chain, HEB, and thats the problem where I live... Smiley Sad 

If u want to shop at Costco regularly - or on-line, their membership is not expensive. They send out great coupons monthly - which more than covers the price of the membership for me - and I only shop for me. Plus - using the Costco Visa Card - I just received a check for $54. A couple of days ago, I ordered lots of food from Costco on-line (instacart) -- so easy and convenient. Plus - u get higher quality foods from Costco. 

Contributor

I would agree, I have spent more than I ever have at the grocery/drug stores.  The way I look at it I'm saving on clothes, hair touchups/cuts/highlights, shoes, makeup, dinner out, mani/pedi, being a mall rat and the like so I think that I am ahead of the game!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

Yes, I agree!  And what it must have been like way back when people truly had to hunt and forage constantly for things to eat!  I know my dear mother who survived the war, told me about standing in line trying to procure food and having very little to eat.  Just terrible.  I know I complain but this is nothing compared to what they all went through! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin