Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Shopping Is Getting Harder

I guess some of you would go without groceries in CA. 😁 We’ve had limits on how many can go in the store for weeks. 😂 It is a good thing and more than an inconvenience. It’s a matter of public safety.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have stopped going inside the grocery store. I have been ordering online and picking it up. They put it in the back of the car with the receipt and everything that was out of stock is circled. When I see the people going inside with no masks I just cringe. The
last time I went inside there was no one heeding the 6 feet away guideline. I had people squeezing up behind me and bumping into me to reach things on the shelves. It was a true frenzy. No more for me. I am not allowing anyone to take my temp except for my doctor or myself. Is the thermometer even disinfected between uses? Horrific.

I think shipping of food has slowed down. Today I only got about half of the things in my order. Guess I have been lucky so far because I usually only miss 2 or 3 items.  I think people are starting to stockpile again because they are realizing this is going to last much longer than we thought. 

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

We have been on limits for a while for all the good it does.  There is no food in stores.  Raleys and Safeway are bare.  Costco is one item of anything in the store.  I milk, one eggs, one or pants, etc.  good for them.   I send my granddaughter out because I have medical issues and ok, I'll say it  I am old.   According to Covid virus rules, I am 72, and well over the the age of seniorism.lol

this is my store  shelves at Raleys, it is sideways and can't correct it  but you get idea

0D6C6E56-EF8E-4716-9922-DE96D6580F63.jpeg

@shoekitty, if you're shopping at Raley's you must live in the same general  area I do.   I tried their order online and drive to store and they bring it out.  I got maybe 1/4 of what I ordered and none of them were the things that are on the quick sell-out list.

Shoekitty said:   @Wsmom  I am South of San Jose.  It has just been terrible.  My granddaughter is a beauty and shops for me, that's why the stock boys tell her everything.  No kidding.  Lol!  They give her the inside scoop.  They said the warehouses have not been filling the orders for weeks.  When they get one ,it is a small load of an off the wall item. One stock boy told my granddaughter last week, " I will tell you a secret, we are getting an order tomorrow night after 8pm.  If you come first thing in morning you ought to find Clorox wipes."  Store is open 6am to 8pm now.  She called 6 am and asked about wipes, they said "they got a few, but she would have to hurry."  She was there by 6:20 and was 4th in line.  She got in and took the picture I posted a couple posts below.  You can see they did get a few Clorox wipes. But the whole rest of load of meat, dairy etc was gone Lol. She was allowed one. Clorox. However, the chicken, meat, everything was bare.   Totally.  Not a can in canned food aisle.  No soup, pasta nothing.  Ice cream is cleared out.  No milk or bread.  There was some wine, and tons of produce and she did get a couple deli plastic tubs of pre-made green salad.  That's it.  Safeway in next parking lot was same way!

is the food just going to Costco and Walmart.?

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty, I'm in the Sacramento region.  Last Wed I went to the <ahem> older people opening at Costco. They did not have the Clorox wipes; the guy said that truck would be there at about ten.  They had pretty much everything else I needed although I didn't shop the store totally as there were a lot of people in the store and it was hard to keep the distance.  I got there at about 7:20 for the 8 o'clock opening, zoomed through to grab the things I needed and when I went to the register there was no line.  

So nice that you have your granddaughter there to shop for you and get the inside scoop! 

There is a Walmart in the same parking lot as Costco.   The Costco employee came out to address the line to say they had no TP but did have paper towels.  A bit later a woman drove by us in line at Costco to announce they have TP at Walmart.  lol  Very nice of her.  Then when we got in they in fact did have TP.  There were employees stationed throughout the store to direct people where to go for what.  And at the TP and paper towels to let people know that they could only get one pkg per card.  Although there were signs all over, some people didn't think that meant them.  Just crazy times.

Trusted Contributor

I do like the idea of the aisles only going one way. That makes sense as then we would always just be behind other shoppers. I hope the stores can make that work. 

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

@Reever   You would be betting wrong.  I have to shop tomorrow.  Among the items on my list: Lactaid, paper towels, vegetables, tea, butter, almonds, eggs  No junk food, no chips!  

and no delivery slots where I live, as many others have stated.  Perhaps you should read all the posts, before you make condescending remarks 

That's right @september. Smiley Happy

We are allowed to go out in order to take care of necessities.

My husband and I don't really like going out, but we have to eat, and so does the cat. We also need to get items and prescriptions from the pharmacy. Other than that, we do our best to stay home.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom 

God Bless. California, and the US lol,  I love the people. I am laughing at the Costco announcement of TP at Walmart.  Ijacent need to Costco but my granddaughter said it was very organized.  The line starts at back exit.  It wraps around that big building starting an hour before opening. There are two lines, one is for seniors and they are are given priority to come in and check out.  Keeping them in store for shortest amount of time.  One time age pays off, huh?  The employees let people in, so many at a time.  Front door they count how many come out.   Then relay to back door how. Many to let in.  When you come in, they ask if you need TP, wipes or towels.(if they have them). Then load it on cart.   I understand they do this in many states.

i really am impressed with  the system they have mapped out, and how employees are all on same page.

Trusted Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Simply stay home people. I am shocked people are still out food shopping. People should have had a large selection of dried beans and lentils to get through a crisis.  I bet half the people at the supermarket are buying junk foods and chips !   Exposing people to the virus for no reason other than to get a bag of Lays chips is assinine.  

Please be safe and use the delivery services.  I am using "Instacart" and they have been very reliable.

When you need food now (and you live alone), the delivery services are too slow. They are also expensive for those of us on a limited income. I went to the store this morning and it was not for "a bag of chips". It was for fresh fruits and vegetables to go with my canned and frozen items. This is the first time I have been outside in 2 weeks because I am terrified to leave the house. I also did not hoard food or papergoods so stop being so judgy. We are all doing the best we can.Smiley Mad

This is true...

Some have to wait until their monthly checks come in before they can shop, or until they get paid on their pay days.

I think that it helps if some people in general can open their hearts up a bit towards others, and try to think that not everyone else is able to live like they do.

Some people still have to go out and work in this environement too, and are not able to work at home, or they have jobs where this isn't possible, like food service jobs, or health care, construction, and so on. 

Some also may not have any choice but to go out in this present environment too, to get their shopping/errands done.

Not only are the delivery services backed-up, but probably just like in my area, Lyft and Uber services are currently canceled.

I'm sure that everyone's trying to do their best.

As I've mentioned before, my husband and I do what we have to do regarding getting our groceries and the things that we need from the pharmacy and for our kitty, and then we stay home as much as we can. 

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 wrote:

I do not think the current powers are capable of such a common sense approach. The greater concern seems to be to appear on stage with daily updates and mixed messages in hopes of receiving praise for a job well done. Late to the party and more concerned with personal admiration than the people.Smiley Sad

@RealtyGal2 

I DVR those press conferences every day, and watch them from start to finish, even skip back to some things to hear them again. Everyone, as I've said in other similar posts, interpret things differently.

What you have said in this post is 180° different than what I interpret from every one of these conferences. I could say much more!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  Our stores are also limiting the number of people per square foot that can be in the store at the same time. Also, the people have to follow the one way arrow on the floor so everyone is going in the same direction. I also read today that stores are going to be mandated to stop selling non-essential goods such as TV's, electronics, etc to cut down on the amount of people in the stores.