Respected Contributor

Anyone else seen items at their grocery store climbing?  I have.  I would buy Blistex ointment for 99 cents (sometimes 89 cents on sale).  First it jumped to $1.29 and today it's $1.59.  Another item, my daughters organice chocolate milk.  Was $4.69 and now $5.69.  Aluminum foil (just generic store brand) was 99 cents, now $1.29.  There's more but that's all I remember off the top of my head right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Other things are great values: I just bought five huge green peppers for $2.00!! Decided it was such a great deal, I picked up five more of them since I snack of bell peppers. That was a SCORE at the grocery store. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

Anyone else seen items at their grocery store climbing?  I have.  I would buy Blistex ointment for 99 cents (sometimes 89 cents on sale).  First it jumped to $1.29 and today it's $1.59.  Another item, my daughters organice chocolate milk.  Was $4.69 and now $5.69.  Aluminum foil (just generic store brand) was 99 cents, now $1.29.  There's more but that's all I remember off the top of my head right now.

@ScrapHappy 

Your right about that..Every week things go up....

Examples of a few items:

Star Kist Tuna In Water was 99 cents then $1.22, now $1.84.   

Turkey Bacon was $2.74, then $3.24, now $3.88

Wurthers Candies $1.98 now $2.18....

Paper towels was $1.69, then $1.79, now $1.99

I dont know if its because the grocery store chain was expanding to add a Curbside Pickup Area.....OR are prices just going up on everything Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Eggs at my local Aldi's went DOWN from $1.25 a carton to .85 cents a carton. I stocked up!!!

You just have to watch the sales/deals, use your freezer and plan your meals accordingly. Buy in bulk, cook in bulk and freeze.

Respected Contributor

Some things go up, some go down. We get some great bargains when things are on sale (I live in AZ). We get great sales on milk and butter (this week got butter for .99 lb). Eggs are pretty good also. At Sam's we get ground beef (90/10) inder $3 per pound, pork chops under $2 per lb sometimes. And we regularly get T-bone steaks under $5 per pound. Sprouts always has good prices on fruits and veggies.

I guess it just depends on what you buy.

Esteemed Contributor

I complain about this (to myself) every time I go food shopping.  The prices for everything in the store our outrageous anymore.  I never spend less than $100 per trip.

Honored Contributor

Minimum wage has gone up to fifteen an hour so of course costs are increasing.

Trusted Contributor

Funny you should mention this.  Yesterday I posted something similar on the Shop Rite website.  Today it's gone.

I do my dad's grocery shopping.  He eats iceberg lettuce every day.  

In Shop Rite yesterday, the iceberg lettuce was $2.49!  Up 50 cents from 2 weeks ago (last time I was there).  I took a picture to show my sister. 

My post:

This morning I stopped at our local Shop Rite. I buy iceburg lettuce for my dad. The price went from $1.99 to $2.49! For one head of lettuce! Meanwhile, Wegman's price is 99 cents. During the gov't shutdown, their price dropped to 79 cents.
What a ripoff.🙄

Image may contain: food

The closest Wegman's to me is in Montvale, NJ, until the store in Westchester County is completed (probably a year).  I will drive to Wegman's, pay the Tappan Zee bridge toll, and STILL save money by shopping there.  Crazy!
Respected Contributor
@roeroe1005....I know exactly where your talking about..
I live in Rockland County + go to the Wegmans on Grand Ave +Tice Farm Mall Shopping in Montvale.😊
Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
@roeroe1005....I know exactly where your talking about..
I live in Rockland County + go to the Wegmans on Grand Ave +Tice Farm Mall Shopping in Montvale.😊

@KKlim . Same here. Rockland County and Wegmans.