Honored Contributor

What would you have done? (puppy situation)

[ Edited ]

Sit back. It's not a short story. This incident took place over the past few days; I found out the end result about a half hour ago. 

Dear Friend has a son who is engaged. Been engaged for the past 8 years. Fiance is of a different culture than he; this has caused issues (some big ones) over the years. Son is a doormat; be in it physical labor, money, paying her bills and then needing money from Dear Friend to cover his bills, etc. Dear Friend has helped financially in the past but is getting tired of it and on occasion will vent to me or ask advice. Son is 29, btw.

Son works full time, goes to school (12 credits) and has a side business; he's a hard worker and all who know him, know this. Fiance's oldest brother (there are 9 children) runs all the family business and the parents now sit back, dote on the grandchildren and bow to him for all decisions. Oldest brother has 5 kids. They wanted a dog. It so happens that Dear Friend's Son has a good friend who bred Golden Doodles and a litter a few months ago. One pup left, a male who is 6 months. After this litter was born and weaned, she had her female spayed and won't be breeding again as her job is relocating her and her dog has had 4 litters; she's done breeding as well. Because she knew Son, because she is moving next week and because she needed to home the pup, she gave Son a GREAT deal on the pup: $350 instead of $1500- $2000. All shots, papers, etc. Son drove a hour to pick him up and bring him to the family to meet; the kids loved him, money was exchanged and he paid his friend. Son also picked up leash, harness, food, toys, bed, everything for the dog and paid for it as, it's "what you do when you're family" he told Dear Friend. This happened on 3/24.

Yesterday Dear Friend called and told me the poop hit the fan over the pup. No crate, they allowed the dog to run loose when no one was home. Clothing, shoes, furniture...destroyed. The back garden...destroyed (digging). The pup is kinda house-trained but...no one home to take him out so pee and poo all over the place when they come home. They call the Son and told him to get rid of the dog. NOW.

He called his friend and asked if she would buy back the dog. NO.

He asked Dear Friend if he would buy the dog. NO.

Remember, the Son works full time and goes to school. They want him to take care of all arrangements and PAY for it as well. The night before last, they left the dog outside all day and all night; cops were called due to howling and barking. Family told cops to take dog and get rid of it. Cops said Family would have to call Animal Control. Son is trying to contact Rescues, find someone to take the pup during his lunch break, after work, etc. Dear Friend asked me if he should take the dog even though his apartment doesn't allow pets and he travels for work. I said no, this is not your problem, hell it really isn't your sons' problem. He agreed but cares about animals. "You do what you feel you should and CAN do." I said.

Found out this morning that Family dropped the pup off at Animal Control claiming it bit young children and was therefore a danger. They want Son to pay them back the money they paid for the pup, money for gas for driving and money they didn't make by not going to work.

And he DID. 

THEN the Friend who sold him/them the pup called  a few hours later to say she found someone who will take him. She is LIVID about the situation. Can't he call to see where they dropped him off? Yes and he has. No return calls as of 30 minutes ago.

No, I don't know where they dropped him off; I don't know where they live, I've never met the fiance. I'm just disgusted by the entire situation. I mean, WHO ACTS LIKE THIS?! 

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you have done? (puppy situation)

Stay out of it?  Far far far away from all who are involved and let them sort it out?  Watch a movie?  Read a good book?  

Am I confused or is the OP not a party to all this nonsense?  It is a long tale and I sort of lost track of who is who and did what to whom. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

It seems very involved.

I wouldn't involve myself in any of this at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would love to comment on several points in your post @SahmIam  but I would not only be banned from Q, I'd be banned from the entire Internet.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like the son needs to run not walk away from this "engagement".  The dog really deserves a good home and I am sure the rescue people would be more than happy to find him one. Sounds like a sad situation all the way round.

Valued Contributor

My advice is to run from people who would treat a person and a puppy this way.  It's wrong--especially to LIE about the dog biting a child.  Now, the puppy will likley be killed because of this.  Few organizations will rehome a biting dog, and this innocent puppy will lose his life because of a lie.  Stay away from liars and cheaters.  

Trusted Contributor

I live in Ca and would love to take a golden doodle. I lost mine about 6 months ago. Please help the poor puppy, it is an innocent victim.  Animal control will put it down, what awful people to lie.

Honored Contributor

The fiance knows she's got a great thing going.  The "boy" is 29 -  I'd like to see Mom stop enabling this disaster. The boy and his mother are being used, imo.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it is sad.On many levels.

My involvement is that of good friend. Our kids have grown up together, they are friends, we are friends, etc. It's easy to see "reality" when you're watching it go on, but not always when you're in the midst of it. 

I wouldn't want my sons involved with a girl or family that acts this way but when they're a grown adult, it's not the parents' call, you know?

The whole pup situation pisses me off. Ignorance, cruelty, etc and yet...nothing will happen to THEM, the family. Just to the pup.

Respected Contributor

Your friend's son is a doormat.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York