Respected Contributor

In my area (Tucson) it depends on where you shop. Walmart, not much difference. Safeway is very high. No more empty shelves or shortages and super sales on beef and pork. It is eating out where there is a big difference and I can understand why. The restaurants are only seating about half of normal and they have to spend extra time cleaning. Nevertheless we have been out six times in the last month - way more than normal but we missed our favorite places and we want to support them if we can.

Respected Contributor

Our walmart has most things stocked up now except for things like hand sanitizer and hand wipes. I have ordered sanitizer a few weeks ago so Im good on that.

I have really noticed the increase in food prices. Gas has gone up too.

Honored Contributor

The only increase I have seen is in Bell and Evans chickens. I won't eat anything but that brand because I just prefer them. I eat salads for lunch and a lot of fish as long as it is wild caught. Prices are basically the same. I believe beef has gone up but gave it up during the pandemic and will continue to do so. We eliminated most processed food and our food bill is exactly about a third lower because of it...

Honored Contributor

Today I noticed how much meat prices have gone up. Ribeyes were advertized on sale at $16 a pound. I can't imagine what a steak in a restaurant will cost. My purchases were salmon, pork chops, pork loin roast, beef roast and bacon at the store's four day meat sale. Maybe I should have gotten an uncut tenderloin. It was $6.99 a pound but would have added $28 to my bill so I passed on it.

Honored Contributor

Re: $ Groceries $

[ Edited ]

I have noticed much higher prices at my Costco, which surprises me. Even with the higher prices, they are still a better value. Walmart has by far jacked up their prices more than most places here. I have only been inside WM twice since March and have been really surprised at how much they have gone up; maybe because they had so many empty shelves for so long and expect to make up their losses.

Esteemed Contributor

Our prices starting going up back in April.  Ice cream is on sale and the usual price.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 well you know what it is, they say there is a shortage on certain items, prices go up, and you buy when you see it because your afraid you won't get it again. The stores aren't running sales much anymore, they don't have to lure you in, your coming in. They know you will pay whatever you have to, to get what's on your list ( if you don't buy it, you better believe someone else will). I live alone, my bill has gone up so much, in a time when money is really tight.

Contributor

I was a bit shocked on how much a McDonalds Filet of Fish combo was that I purchased last week. It was a total of $9.57 (with tax) and I didn't even upgrade the size!  I even asked the employee if the price was correct. 

BTW Please try Lidl's grocery store if you have one close by.  The prices are great and the quality of everything I have purchased there has been good. I especially like their Big Shoulder brand prepackaged cooked pulled pork and their Big Shoulder brand prepackaged cooked pork carnitas.  

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I guess it was inevitable, but boy did I notice the increase in food prices this morning !  Usually it's a few cents here and there, not really noticeable, but it seemed most everything I purchased today was a lot higher in price. Well, at least I got everything on my list , sigh. 😟

@QVCkitty1   

I haven’t seen any increase at all here. I don’t eat processed foods or sugars. I actually saw a decrease in the cost of one kind of grass fed beef that I order from WalMart. Even non-food household goods are the same.

Respected Contributor

Some items, yes.  The Big Y had a bag of cherries for $6.  Last year,  paid about $2.99 .