Super Contributor

Re: Grandparent's names

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Just reading on line, what do your  grandkids call you?  I have no g.c. so it doesn't apply to me.

mine was always gramma and grampa

mrshckynut 

Valued Contributor

My granddaughter calls me Gemma and my husband Pop Pop.  Gemma was my suggestion and I love it.  Her other grandparents are Oma and Opa.  They live in Berlin Germany as does my daughter and granddaughter.

Honored Contributor

My name is Grammuffy and my husband's is Gramps.  One night before our first grandchild was born, my husband and I were thinking about grandparents names.  At the time he was calling me "Snuggle-muffin".  That morphed into Grammuffy.  I love my grandma name Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Grandparent's names

[ Edited ]

Our DSIL had children when he came into DD's life.  Until this year, he always referred to us by our first names when talking to his kids, but this year he started calling us Grandma and Grandpa to them. The kids haven't used the names yet, they just start talking without saying any name at all.  I'd actually like different names so as to not have the same as their original grandparents but I'll take what we can get.

Our other two call us Nana and Papa, to differentiate from DDIL's parents, who are Grandma and Grandpa. 

Whatever I'm called, being a grandparent is one of the best jobs in this life! ❤️👨‍🦳👱❤️

Respected Contributor

I'm YiaYia.

Respected Contributor

I don't have grandkids....or kids.  Lots of young friends, though--a benefit of being a teacher.

I am unusually close to my sister's grown up children, who, sadly, no longer call me Auntie.  They do remain close.

My grandparents on my father's side were called "Ma" and "Pa" (the favored terms in Nova Scotia in  Canada). Our mother's parents we called "Grampa" and "Nana" (who was an incredible person--for years she ran errands for the Carmelite nun's convent nearby and by her request and their consent was buried in their beautiful habit of rough brown cloth).  My errand running grandmother was an amputee (bone tuberculosis, from unpasteurized milk) and died young.  I remember her talking gravely to my mother, but smiling down on me. 

My older brother remembers a visit to the hospital where her leg was amputated.  He happened to see the stump before the bedclothes were pulled over.  He went to the bed, put his hand under the blanket,  softly touched the bandages, and said, "Poor Nana."  He became a doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I don't have grandkids, but I called my dad's mother Memere because she was partly French and that's what she requested. 

My mom's parents were Gonnie and Papaw.  I was the first grandchild and couldn't quite pronounce Granny so it became "Gonnie."  All of the other grandkids ended up calling her that too.

My kids called their three living grandparents Grandma ____ and Grandpa ____.  No requests for specific names, other than my mom who strongly didn't want to be called Grand-maw.  She hated the "maw" part, ha ha.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

They call me Nana.  

Esteemed Contributor

My two granddaughters call us Grandma and Grandpa.  My husbands grandmother was from Czechoslovakia, they all called her Babi.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor
I followed what my kids called my mom… Grandma. So that’s what I’m called by my grandkids. DH followed his dad who went by Pop.