Respected Contributor

Re: Got them fed before the storm

@MamaWick   Does your county have an extension service?  I am wondering if they would be able to help you find someone to contact about the health of Mama Deer.  I just saw on the internet that the CWD status for Texas is positive.  *CWD Zone: Trans-Pecos, Panhandle, and Medina County. For more information, visit Chronic Wasting Disease.  This was on website www.ncwildlife.org (for NC).   Maybe your state has something similiar.

Valued Contributor

@MamaWick 

You and your DH are wonderful parents for these deer. Did I miss the pic of your big boy? 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  So you sent my pictures with my wickpic! stamp to someone?  Okay.  But next time, please ask.  Also, please see my post above about the nutrition we give them.  I am worried about Mama.  

@MamaWick   Do you think Mama has fawns and comes to eat so she can feed them?  That could explain her thinness, she needs more than the others, just wondering.

Respected Contributor

ring  ring  ring  dinner bell clangs to call the gorgeous, magnificent and thin to enjoy a lil snack.  

@MamaWick taking extra special care of her flock, love goes both ways and Mama gives them love and they show her affection in return.

I too have seen Pumpkins enjoyed as a snack for deer, if you get a few - they'll gobble those up as well. Loaded with great vitamins and fiber.

You are a St. Francis here on earth...

I love the pics almost as much as I love your care for them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   and PapaWick  

I know you've got to be busy as a bee taking care of all of those deer AND answering all of our questions and replying to all the comments. 

You really are a good person all the way around...  Just be careful if it is CWD.   Even though I have no idea of what it really is, it does sound pretty bad. 

So thank you again for what you do and for letting us see the deer thru your pictures..

Katie 

Valued Contributor

They are beautiful. We live next to the park, and have lots of deer here in our community. We had a doe bring her twins to our back hill. That was last year. The one deer has a broken or deformed left front leg. We now know he is a buck, has button antlers. He is so sweet and seems to like me. I always speak quietly to him and he is tame. He limps and eats for a while and then he must rest. He spends almost everyday here in our yard. 

I feel so bad for him, with that bad leg. I hope he stays safe living here in my yard. We named him Skippy. Of course he has eaten every plant in my yard. But that's ok. He is so special!🦌

Honored Contributor

Deer will eat stuff that is not nutritionally dense. In other words, they eat stuff that fills their stomach which makes them feel somewhat full. What that means is when they come across nutritionally dense food, for instance nuts and fruit, they will eat less of it which can cause weight loss. This type of eating pattern occurs largely where people feed them food sourced from outside their normal natural diet. I'm not saying this is what Mama's deer is experiencing, but it makes me wonder why the deer are so thin.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick. That was my comment about Pavlov's Deer. 😁

So as you ring the bell, do you yell over to the woods: "Come and get it?" (I've watched too many westerns).
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  So you sent my pictures with my wickpic! stamp to someone?  Okay.  But next time, please ask.  Also, please see my post above about the nutrition we give them.  I am worried about Mama.  

@MamaWick 

the photos are easy to copy and save and share. anyone can remove your "wickpic" stamp by cropping the photos. this is a public forum where anyone would be able to see these and share the photos, even those who dont sign in. just wanted to give you a heads up.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   More beautiful pictures.  I hope you will continue to post them and hope that all will respect the fact that they are yours.  

I know that in today's world, most of us are not going anywhere, but you did say that you have been at your home for a while.  What accommodations if any do you have in place for your herd should you not be home for a time.  

Our friend comes over to feed and fill the water "the back 40" when we were away.  As you know, they become dependent upon us. 

Woofs to Cricket. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet