Trusted Contributor

Re: Got them fed before the storm

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick  What a kind and caring person you are.  I enjoyed your pictures very much.  PS  I love your quote from Jimi Hendrix - perfect!

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick   What wait!!!!!  You got them trained to come running when you ring a bell? Smiley Surprised

Some of the deer look as if they are starving. Smiley Sad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Do they get a feed higher in protein in August? I read something about the need for more protein durin this month? I also read that they need nuts and eat acorns. How are they getting these? Are there oak trees dropping acorns nearby? I just read app out the corn causing deaths. Your posts have been entertaining and I've learned a little about deer as a result of my interest in your posts. 

Esteemed Contributor

From PapaWick and me, they get carrots, apples, watermelon/cantaloupe rinds AND deer nutritional pellets on a rotating basis.  NEVER CORN because that is actually really bad for them.  We do have oak trees around the area so I'm sure they are getting some acorns from them.  We do what we can.  

I'm worried about Mama.  In the last week or two, her ribs are showing big time and her hind quarters are concaved inward.  However, she acts normal and will rear up to fight for food if someone goes after a bite she wants.   

Mama is not one to take food from my hand, and I don't even try.  There are only two bucks brave enough to do that.  Mama is not excessively salivating or exhibiting other signs of CWD.  We do wash up upon coming back in.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

My daughter feeds the deer in her yard as well, and she puts out a big bucket of water. She loves seeing them and they come every afternoon around the same time.  

Her deer are much fatter though. She even had one that has a little baby. So sweet. 

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   Will they actually come towards you when you ring the bell?

Thanks for the pics!!  I always enjoy them!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha  yes.  As someone mentioned the other day...Pavlov's Deer.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

Dinner bell for YOUR gorgeous deer!  Wow, they really are your babies.  Thanks for all these pictures as they warm my heart, puts a smile on my face, and lifts my spirits.

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick - too funny - now they have a dinner bell? Ok, here's your new name MamaWick's Deer Ranch - Riley1

Honored Contributor

Glad you got them fed before the storm..... I dont know about your area in Texas, but we need the rain!!....

Love that they come for the dinner bell......so cute! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”