Super Contributor

Got Some Very Mixed News ~~ And Want to Do the Best I Can with It...

Good afternoon all,

just yesterday, when least expected it, my sister called from L.A. a Church Conference, to say that their home was sold. It had been on the market quite a while. And apparently her instincts were correct, when she fell this realtor had what it took, to sell their beloved and beautiful home... The master plan is that they will move from Virginia Beach to California, where has not be determined yet. Her husband has been working in Fla, for the past 1 1/2 years, while she took care of fixing up the house, and getting it painted inside and out, along with downsizing this home, where they raised 2 children (I should say she raised - as her husb. a dr. was usually handling heart attacks...) and it was finally ready as per yesterday. She doesn't have to go up again for any reason.

At the recommendation of their realtor, she got rid of much of her furniture, a fine teak sort (that has over the years increased) and the rest went into storage and for my sister to rejoin her husb. in Fla, while the realtor sweat over selling the house, etc. She got POA and at yesterday's meeting, every last detail was finalized, and the beautiful house now is no longer in the family, much to my sadness... She was only in Fla. for 3 or 4 weeks, when this took place, and although she called me yesterday, she went right back into the conferencer, so i know nothing about how they intend to proceed. Their son is returning from the U.K. on Saturday, and since he is the MBA of the family, he is already most likely crunching the numbers to help them figure out their future. And ironically too, their conference is over on Saturday, but I doubt the hospital would give him permission to stay in Ca. any longer so they could do some initial searching, since they were never cooperative and time and $$-wise that would make a huge difference if they could just extend their time there in a few days

As both of them have worked themselves silly, it is high time they can retire, and be in an area with little if any humidity and they aren't plagued by all day sneezing anymore due to the weather and allergies. Their son lives in Berkeley, and daughter at the moment in Seattle, still studying 3 more years in medical school, and chances are she may move to OR or stay in WA where she has her closest friends, or decide to set up shop more near her parents. However, I live in DC and this move for me is a catastrophe, as I have no longer family near by, as all are soon in the west. Many of my friends have returned to Europe or some that are traveling a lot (since they can!). I am not such a lucky bird, so it is a big deal for me to fly west, although i know that they for sure will also come to DC to visit as they love it here a lot also. So i have very mixed feelings, being extremely happy for them, but sad at the same time. Holidays will not be the same, nor spending a quick weekend in their nice, large home. My closest friends here have now larger families incl. grandchildren and super busy. Well, anyway, I just needed to vent and hope you don't mind? I will be 69 next week, so although I have thought also about to move, not so easy, as all i have is SS, and by giving tours I can live so to speak, but over there, I don't have the reputation for tours anymore, and what can one do at that age, that other young people can't do better? So I don't see that at all.

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.

Hugs,

magenta