Honored Contributor

Goodwill and Thrift Stores in General

This was on the local news tonight:

As other brick & mortar stores are struggling and closing:  thrift stores like Goodwill, Hospice Shops and consignment clothing/decor stores business is booming.  

I believe it although I rarely go to them except furniture consignment store.  I like to see on Tuesday or Wednesday what new things they have.

I heard the Goodwill store (which also has furniture outlet) and

Salvation Army stores are having to refuse customers.  People are standing in line for hours in the over 90 degree (100+ heat index) to get in and are becoming sick with heat exhaustion (or other symptoms).  

The ladies at water aerobics today were saying they have been finding wonderful clothes (some w/tags) and more.  The estate and yard sales are everywhere everyday.

Very interesting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Goodwill and Thrift Stores in General

[ Edited ]

I haven't gone into our Goodwill lately. I don't even go into the grocery store.

But I have donated things lately and I have to give it to the workers there.

They let any donations sit for 36 hours before they open from what they said.

That is reassuring for anyone going into the store and buying things.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

A thrift store of any kind is the last place I want to go right now. I used to go once or twice a month, but there is no way I would put my hands on stuff that other people are also touching with no way to clean my hands after every touch. Can't think of a more risky place to go. Maybe I am missing something. I know most of these places weren't that pristine even before the virus. Doubt it is any better now because none of the clothing is washed once it is donated. Ewww

Honored Contributor

I worked for Goodwill Industries for many years in retail, production and transportation management, So I might have a different view than many.

I still shop thrifts, although not since February. Some of our thrifts never closed during the Covid stuff, but Goodwills did. 

I wouldn't hesitate in the least to go to a thrift store right now, if I wanted or needed to. In my opinion the merchandise being infected or contaminated is no more an issue today than it was in January. Bed bugs, roaches, etc are more likely than Covid on things. 

I'd be concerned about other shoppers, the density of people, and masks, being an issue, but not the goods. 

In my opinion, it's no more 'dangerous' than going into the grocery store. If I'm comfortable in Lowes or the grocery or Costco right now, I don't see most thrifts as any different. It's more about the people than the merchandise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As always a "general topic" somehow is turned into a "negative" with reference to COVID.

I'm not speaking for others but maybe in these unprecedented times where many are still unemployed, have children to cloth, limited incomes or waiting for unemployment this is their only option.

Maybe you wouldn't shop there there that's your option.  I was just stating what was reported on the local news vs COVID 24/7

@lovesrecess 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love bargain hunting, but have not been in a while. I wouldn't stand in line in 90 degree heat for it though. The treasures would have to be Prince memorabilia, or have belonged to someone dear to me, for me to endure that kind of tortue.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

Lines outside my favorite thrift store long.  That deters me from going.  Not so much the merchandise.  I really miss getting stuff for grandkids.  During last few months I was so thankful I "overbought" early in year so we have had new stuff to bring out for them.

neighbor advised that the store had widened aisles and workers masked but I am uneasy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think thrift stores have been " loaded for bear" since the purging trend started.  There are millions of women downsizing everything in their home including clothing.

Even family heirlooms are being donated.  Now is a good time to search for bargains. A lot of purging was done while everyone was home bored looking for something to do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio I cannot imagine any of our thrift stores being even half as clean as Costco which has been doing a superb job of keeping carts, surfaces, and other things sanitized. The egift stores near me look as if surfaces haven't been cleaned in years.
Contributor

I had a favorite thrift shop near my job. I used to go almost every day on my lunch hour. It was like therapy just looking at things. I bought a lot of new looking children’s books for the grandkids, which they always looked forward to. I also bought clothing brands that were featured on QVC, including a Dennis Basso faux fur coat for $50. Ironically when I retired they closed just a few days later. I guess I was their best customer.