Honored Contributor

I got curious about the Flint situation since it came up.  Don't want to sidetrack thread, but "The Detrioit News" has a September 15, 2017 article.  Says that the same authority who confirmed the Flint problems said as of September that the water is testing at Federally accepted levels.  The community is understandably slow to trust the supply though.

Respected Contributor

Nicholas Kristof is a great journalist, well traveled and experienced.  I usually am very interested in what he says.

The New York Times is still a great newspaper.  The reporting has been good.  I think people at times denigrate it with it's editorial page, when they don't agree with it.

The editorial page and the regular reporting are two different things.

Thanks for posting!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

When the U S takes care of their citizens and shows that they care then it will be something to cheer about, until then...........

Unemployment is down.  Black unemployment lowest since 2000.  The best way to help citizens is to provide opportunity for them to help themselves.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

That's a good question, @RoughDraft-- it's been years now, hasn't it?  Where are we now in addressing it?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/flint-water-crisis-fast-facts/index.html

@Oznell

Other than a few felony indictments, law suits and a lot of finger-pointing, not much.  The state is apparently picking up the tab for new lines which might be completed by 2020.  But hey, people can be so impatient because they pay taxes and all.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Sigh.

2018 is starting out just like 2017 when it comes to political baiting threads.

The subtext for the OP 's post is bright as a summer day.

I'll give her credit though. She's a master.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

When the U S takes care of their citizens and shows that they care then it will be something to cheer about, until then...........

Unemployment is down.  Black unemployment lowest since 2000.  The best way to help citizens is to provide opportunity for them to help themselves.

@Isobel Archer

And food stamp use is down, as well, but don't muddle the waters with facts and positive reality. It only upsets the minions! LOL

Heaven forbid we celebrate true improvements, personal responsibility, and real gains.

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Ms tyrion2, I am honestly sorry you are feeling that way, and apparently have suspicions of me.

It sounds like maybe you think that I am drawing a parallel to the American political situation and saying something like, "Hey, kids, thiings are looking up-- feel great about things!"

I can only assure you that I am not.  I came across the Kristof piece and thought, wow.  It feels good to celebrate good news in the world, whether it is near or far. The threads here often have a bit of a downbeat vibe, to me.  The churches that I know about that work in these areas of world poverty and drinking water have been of great interest to me and thought people would like to hear of progress.

I wish you the very best in 2018, @Ms tyrion2.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Sigh.

2018 is starting out just like 2017 when it comes to political baiting threads.

The subtext for the OP 's post is bright as a summer day.

I'll give her credit though. She's a master.

You are 100% correct @Ms tyrion2 and I fell for the bait and answered on this thread. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

And whether you believe it or not, @JaneMarple, I wish the very best for you, too.

I so enjoyed that time when we discussed our share love of "Perry Mason".   We were in complete agreement, on that front.

Honored Contributor

Good news all round:

Another Dugger is pregnant.

Kloe Kardashian has revealed her baby bump.

The Golden Globes are on tonight.

The book is sold out.

The temperature is going up.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson