Honored Contributor

Re: Gonna be longer than I thought

[ Edited ]

Why can't houses of worship, or any other type of gathering with a public speaker, hold more frequent services or meetings, allowing less people inside at a time, with social distancing and masks on? Isn't there a work around for doing this as safely as possible? Couldn't there be early morning outside services or meetings with plenty of space between persons. It's cooler in the very early morning. From my personal standpoint, I see little difference from video services watched at home, but many others don't like this type of thing.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Why can't houses of worship hold more frequent services, allowing less people inside at a time, with social distancing and masks on? Isn't there a work around for doing this as safely as possible? Couldn't there be early morning outside services with plenty of space between persons. It's cooler in the very early morning. From my personal stand

ount, I see little difference from video services watched at home, but many others don't like this type of thing.

@Mindy D, the vast majority of churches understand the restriction. As always, it's the protesters that get the publicity.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

My hope is that when the churches begin to open for services, that they will still continue the live stream mass for those of us who should not attend in person.

@Krimpette  My church has had live streaming for years. It is nice when you can’t make it to church. 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Lali1 

That is why I have my groceries and other items delivered.  Less exposure.

Mine too. I did do pickup Friday from Walmart. The parking lot was pretty full. I was surprised. 

Regular Contributor

Our church reopened for in person worship services today.  The congregation was told what to expect a number of times so that there would be no surprises and those who are not comfortable attending can still watch on Facebook.  There was only one way to enter, monitored by an elder and a nurse.  Temperatures were taken upon entering and masks were required through the entire service.  If you did not have your own, one was provided.  Pews were marked off showing where you were allowed to sit so seating was staggered throughout the sanctuary.  Even my husband, the organist, was not allowed to enter by himself.  The service went smoothly, although it is a little difficult to sing in a mask, especially if you have glasses.  They can get pretty foggy!

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@prettychris. Harder to do social distancing on church and salons (hairdressers & patron) than in WalMart.

But everyone is assuming the church is packed and people are side by side holding hands. Only family I would think would do that. Really though my whole point is that no one knows these numbers from stores because for some reason we only hear about churches or places that some people clearly do not want to open. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I checked my parish website. Many people have died in a short time. This was very disturbing. 

The church was open for 2 hours of private pray last week, and may have weekday mass with social distanting this week. People like me in a high risk group are not welcome. 

There are many churches in my area that have live screaming services on Facebook.

It will take all of us to reach a new normal. 

@Nuttmeg 

Well auto correct just gave me my laugh of the day as I pictured your screaming services! 🥴

I noticed that too and snorted! 😄

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@Lali1 

That is why I have my groceries and other items delivered.  Less exposure.

Mine too. I did do pickup Friday from Walmart. The parking lot was pretty full. I was surprised. 

@Lali1  @DiAnne  

I did a WalMart pickup this morning. No exposure at all; never even rolled down my car window. I have found the pickup area to be less busy on Sunday morning and I am in/out in just a few minutes. The parking lot is pretty packed no matter what time or day I go. 

One thing this horrible situation has done is teach me a better a better way to shop. I don’t need to go into any stores to get the things I need. And staying out of them prevents me from buying things I don’t need. I do not miss wandering around WalMart or the grocery store and plan to continue doing pickup orders in the future, even if the health dangers pass.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 

The two things that will get me back to the store is that I miss Trader Joe's (they don't have delivery options) and also I don't trust the shoppers to pick up fresh fish for me but for the time being I am sticking with this.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@willdob3 

The two things that will get me back to the store is that I miss Trader Joe's (they don't have delivery options) and also I don't trust the shoppers to pick up fresh fish for me but for the time being I am sticking with this.

@DiAnne   I understand. If I want fresh fish, I will order from a local place that I trust. I haven’t done that yet though.

No Trader Joe’s here so that is not a problem for me. I am only using stores that have employees pick my food because I am not comfortable with the idea of paying “shoppers” to do it. I no longer shop at Publix grocery stores because, in order to do pickup or delivery, I would have to use Instacart and I’m not willing to do that.