Trusted Contributor

Re: Going to the Library....Books!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's replies so much.  I love libraries too, and am constantly reading.

I would like to invite all of you to visit the Book Club forum and post on our monthly "What are you reading" thread.  We can always use more recommendations!  You will find lots of book lovers there who enjoy talking about books.

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

I have enjoyed reading everyone's replies so much.  I love libraries too, and am constantly reading.

I would like to invite all of you to visit the Book Club forum and post on our monthly "What are you reading" thread.  We can always use more recommendations!  You will find lots of book lovers there who enjoy talking about books.

@dawg lover-  I was going to post this same exact thing!

Please come and join us!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

@dawg lover-  I was going to post this same exact thing!

Please come and join us!

@sunala @dawg lover the book club forum is my first stop each morning on the boards,  to see what was read the night before and then get finds for my next trip to the library.  It is my "Mall" so to speak.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I am a voracious reader. I like a real book and love the feel of it in my hands.

I order a lot of books from Barnes and Noble and Amazon. I haven't been to the library recently because last time I went there was someone there where they had to call the police on him. He was creating a scene so I have kind of held off going. However, maybe I will go back today because I miss it....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

(snip) 

My questions for you is:    Do you find that with the internet and iPad and computer you do not read books any more or at least much less?  Just wondering if it is a side effect of the stimulation that the  computer provides.

@SeaMaiden

I've always read a lot ... I came from a family of readers and book club members.  

One advantage of the computer ... I'm exposed to more books in my preferred genres, and I can go to Amazon and immediately dowload to my Kindle.  And ... I can pre-order books that will automatically download when released. 

And ... if while I'm reading my Kindle and come across another author or book that sounds interesting, I can search Amazon's catalog right from my Kindle ... order and download immediately!   And, if I'm not sure about a book, I can download a sample to read!  

So - computers and tablets and e-readers have greatly increased my access to great reading. 

(I still buy "normal" books if it's something I know I will want to write in, or is a used copy of something that's out of print.  Or some foreign language books that haven't been digitized.")

Esteemed Contributor

WHen my DH was in UVA Medical Center almost 4 months before he passed away I spent all day almost every day at his bedside.  UVA Medical is a 2.5 hour drive from our home in the northern Shenandoah valley.  I would come home on a Saturday and then drive back on a Sunday or sometimes a Monday morning.  I slept on a cot in his room.  IF I hadn't had my IPAD with my Kindle app I think I would have lost my mind sitting by his bedside awake from 7 AM-9PM every day with no place to go and nothing to do. That Kindle app saved my sanity.

Respected Contributor

Like many have said, I read pretty much every day, and always have at least 1 book I'm in the middle of.  I mostly download library books to my iPad, because the majority of reading I do is in bed at night after my DH goes to sleep, and with an ebook I don't have to have a light on.  I also read a lot of paper books because I buy them cheap in thrift stores and at Half Price Books, and they're way better next to (or in!) the pool than my iPad Smiley Tongue

I used to be a paper book snob, but in addition to my light source issue, you really can't beat the convenience of an e-reader device for travel.  And on our last few trips, something happened (light burned out or not available when expected) that meant my DH couldn't read his paper books but I was fine with my device.  They each have their place for me!

Honored Contributor

I love to read and always have. I haven't been to my local library in years, but a good friend of mine said it is just gorgeous after being totally remodeled.....I tend to buy my books of of Ebay for a couple of dollars, but you end up with so many books after a while, so I am seriously thinking of visiting my local library real soon....I still work fulltime, so I only usually read 1 book a week. If I no longer worked, it would probably be 2 a week. I would rather read, than watch television for sure...... 

Honored Contributor

I find the books at our library are very limited, and when you get one you'd like to read they have pages torn out and are very dirty.Just generally undesirable . However, I borrow e books for my kindle app a lot and enjoy them very much. I rarely read an actual book anymore - almost all e books from the library or that I purchase from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I went to the library today with Hubby. We had not stepped into the library for probably 15 years!  They had totally rebuilt it from the ground up.  Brand new thanks to tax payers money.....State of the art...self checkout, all computerized  

My questions for you is:    Do you find that with the internet and iPad and computer you do not read books any more or at least much less?  Just wondering if it is a side effect of the stimulation that the  computer provides.

@SeaMaidenI still read all the time.  I don't own a kindle or any other device; I still like to hold a "real" book in my hands.  I'd rather browse at a bookstore like B&N and could spend all day in there.

I haven't done the library route in a long time; I buy most of my books then pass them  along as some have been passed along to me.  I keep some special topics, though, especially my environment themed books.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh