Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm sorry, cake pans and decorating supplies are not essential for any business right now.  

Michaels, Joanns and Hobby Lobby are all closed around here so no one is buying all that stuff there.

Who do they think is baking and decorating and what are they baking and decorating for?  No parties, no weddings, no nothing to celebrate.

Hobby Lobby reopened and were given a cease and desist letter. Many businesses just can't afford to stay closed. We are in a sad state of affairs. Just take care of yourself and take extra steps to remain safe. 

Honored Contributor

If they aren't protecting their workers--they aren't protecting their customers either. No one should buy from them.

You know how you kinda sorta worry when you receive a package now that someone with the virus at the warehouse or somewhere along the line might have sneezed on it? So you clean it as best you can, but you're not totally sure you got everything?

Well...don't go buying cake pans for a while. Woman Mad

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Squirt60 wrote:

No, they do not supply us with anything. I do have gloves that I can wear and I also have some disinfecting wipes so that is better than nothing. 

I am grateful that they paid us the 2 weeks and that I still have a job because I know many people are not as fortunate right now. My husband who also works at the same place decided not to go back tomorrow due to his age and he had a blood clot that went to his lung back in July after his knee replacement and they told him he will be put on furlough so that means no pay and his job is not guaranteed. 

I am just going to go back and try to keep myself as healthy as possible. 

@Squirt60 

I am sort of confused you said that he has decided not to return to work due to health issues, but that he has been furloughed. If he is furloughed, then I believe that he is eligible for unemployment Insurance, please check into this. 

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry you have to go back to work.  Do all you can to stay safe.  Safety Goggles and a home made mask if they don't provide any to help prevent you from touching your face.  There's even some you tube videos on how to make a mask without sewing.  Wear gloves and a smock you can remove at the end of the day. as others have said remove your shoes at the door and change out of your work clothes right away and put them straight into a trashbag lined hamper or the washing machine.  It sounds like you are not interacting with the general public so that's good.  Wash your hands often.  If you're wearing latex type gloves wash them as you would your hands. 

All the best to you and yours.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If they aren't protecting their workers--they aren't protecting their customers either. No one should buy from them.

You know how you kinda sorta worry when you receive a package now that someone with the virus at the warehouse or somewhere along the line might have sneezed on it? So you clean it as best you can, but you're not totally sure you got everything?

Well...don't go buying cake pans for a while. Woman Mad

=================================================

According to an aritcle I read today, they don't even have to "sneeze".

Just "breathing" will do ...

Re: "aerosolization of virus from normal breathing", "unwitting transmission of the virus from asymptomatic carriers."

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Squirt60 wrote:

Hello Everyone. I unfortunately still work but they gave us the last 2 weeks off with pay. I found out on Friday we have to return to work telling us they can’t afford to be paying us to stay home. (Really.). I am so scared. I still do not understand how they can be considered an essential business and stay open. 

Thank you for letting me vent here. 

Stay well everyone. 

=========================

You kind of answered your own question ...

#1-My guess is, the company can no longer afford to pay you to stay home.

#2-They'll be out of business if they don't stay "in business".

My other guess is, many businesses that are NOT doing what your company is doing will end up going belly-up.

Stay safe!

This assumes that her company truly is essential, @RinaRina, I have my doubts about that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland