Respected Contributor

Re: Going back to work

[ Edited ]

@Squirt60  I too am working but have not been given any time off due to the virus.  Do what you can to stay healthy, wash your hands, and be sure to keep at least 6 feet away from anyone else.

Make sure that everyone that works near you is on board with staying home if they get sick, some contractors that come into my business aren't paid when they take sick time, so they tend to just keep coming in.  Everyone is so aware now, that any one who sneezes, coughs, clears their throat or looks sick is given the "eye" and told to go home by the fellow co-workers.

I told a contractor to leave when I overheard him telling one of my workers that he had not been feeling well earlier in the week.  He is fine now, and it wasn't the virus, but it's not worth the risk of him being around everyone if there is ANY chance he could be ill.

Bring your own coffee and lunch, and don't mingle with others if you don't have too, and be sure to strip down before you enter your home if you are able, and wash those clothes in warm/hot water and I've also heard to take a shower immediately upon returning home (washing hair too). 

You can never be too safe - and believe me there are a lot of others in the same boat as you, so we're going to get through this together. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I am having a lot of trouble understanding how so many places are considered Essential businesses, I think some of that labeling is just a racket. Seems like all places are now essential, just my observation. 

Honored Contributor

Glad you still have a job, but I know it's scary.

Remove your street clothes & shoes at the door when you get home.

At work, I'd also be concerned about the bathroom.   I always have disinfectant wipes that I travel with, you may not but maybe you can improvise.   I clean the toilet  & sink handles with the wipes   I'm obsessed with toilet handles, it's the first thing you touch after you GO.   

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle  the one that bugs me are lawn care services that claim to be essential. In my part of the world, our low temperatures are below freezing and the normal high temperature is 46. No way do they need to be cutting, raking and spraying yet. I wish our Governor would say no hired lawn care services can begin until May 1.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Shelbelle  the one that bugs me are lawn care services that claim to be essential. In my part of the world, our low temperatures are below freezing and the normal high temperature is 46. No way do they need to be cutting, raking and spraying yet. I wish our Governor would say no hired lawn care services can begin until May 1.

Many people are working because they have families to fed. I do hope the workers are given proper ppe for the job.

Lawn care has to be done on a schedule. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Going back to work

[ Edited ]

I'm back at work.  I'm more afraid of not having a job to go to!  

Honored Contributor

I am considered critical, but am able to work from home.  I think you have to prepare like you've never prepared before.  Long sleeves/long pants, gloves, mask.  Be aware of your surroundings.  I'd pack lunch in zip lock bags.  Have a robe in the garage and strip down when you get home, then jump in the shower.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, cake pans and decorating supplies are not essential for any business right now.  

Michaels, Joanns and Hobby Lobby are all closed around here so no one is buying all that stuff there.

Who do they think is baking and decorating and what are they baking and decorating for?  No parties, no weddings, no nothing to celebrate.

Trusted Contributor

I would contact your state city or county officials to find out what your local rules are for nonessential businesses.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@Squirt60 wrote:

Hello Everyone. I unfortunately still work but they gave us the last 2 weeks off with pay. I found out on Friday we have to return to work telling us they can’t afford to be paying us to stay home. (Really.). I am so scared. I still do not understand how they can be considered an essential business and stay open. 

Thank you for letting me vent here. 

Stay well everyone. 

=========================

You kind of answered your own question ...

#1-My guess is, the company can no longer afford to pay you to stay home.

#2-They'll be out of business if they don't stay "in business".

My other guess is, many businesses that are NOT doing what your company is doing will end up going belly-up.

Stay safe!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."