Frequent Contributor

Hello Everyone. I unfortunately still work but they gave us the last 2 weeks off with pay. I found out on Friday we have to return to work telling us they can’t afford to be paying us to stay home. (Really.). Ever since Friday I am a nervous wreck about going back. Without saying the name of the company I work for which is a large company that deals with cake pans and cake decorating supplies. Hint Hint.  I work in the warehouse handling cartons that come in from all over and there are a lot of people in the building. I have to go back tomorrow and I am so scared. I still do not understand how they can be considered an essential business and stay open. 

Thank you for letting me vent here. 

Stay well everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirt60  Will they provide masks and lots of hand sanitizer? Be sure to wash your hands as frequently as possible and don't touch your face or other body parts. Try to maintain the distance from other employees and do your job as well as possible. Be very careful.

I would be grateful for the two weeks off with pay, but know so many companies are loosing so much money that they have to do something to stay in business. If you are really afraid, you have the option of using up any vacation time left . . . or quitting. But remember, that would leave you without health insurance which right now, we all desperately may need. Best wishes.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@Squirt60 When I first read your post I thought you just didn't want to go back to work.

I'm assuming you're concerned about working due to safety concerns? 

Is your company providing protective gear? How are they "essential" did the State you live in ok your return? If not, I'd be very hesitant to return. 

I'm blessed and thankful for every day I can work (even though I want to retire in September) and I work in a medical lab so I'm essential. I"m concerned every day regardless of virus but learned early on I'm responsible for taking care of myself and they are responsible for training and providing me the equipment.  If they don't provide the equimpent, I have to make a choice, and make no mistake, it is MY choice. 

Frequent Contributor

No, they do not supply us with anything. I do have gloves that I can wear and I also have some disinfecting wipes so that is better than nothing. 

I am grateful that they paid us the 2 weeks and that I still have a job because I know many people are not as fortunate right now. My husband who also works at the same place decided not to go back tomorrow due to his age and he had a blood clot that went to his lung back in July after his knee replacement and they told him he will be put on furlough so that means no pay and his job is not guaranteed. 

I am just going to go back and try to keep myself as healthy as possible. 

Honored Contributor

It's a natural response to worry and I've done some because my DH is in what is called an essential job. Just take the necessary precautions and hope everyone else at work does too. The sad thing is that we don't know if his coworkers are running around and partying on weekends - he thinks they could well be because some don't care about social distancing at work.

Honored Contributor

@Squirt60   In my area, several business stayed open and were turned in to the Dept of Health in the county by their employees or other citizens.  Once contacted  by the Health Dept., if the business felt they were essential they had to fax over certain paperwork showing why they had to be open...in the case of one business they had government contracts and had to keep the orders filled.

Trusted Contributor

My dd works at WM doing the online grocery picking. They have not supplied masks or gloves for any employees. Now that Schools are closed groups of teens are hanging out there,lots of families with kids,and bored elderly folks come in to visit. Honestly people and business' are just not following the CDC guidelines. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Going back to work

[ Edited ]

@Squirt60  From what you described, you're right in that it doesn't sound like it is an "essential" business to still be open. I can certainly understand you being scared. I don't know what to say: stay home for safety, or go back there for an income. Stay safe whichever you decide! 🙏

Can you communicate with any coworkers as to what they're going to do? 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@Squirt60 Along with the gloves, wear a good quality (N95 if you can find one) mask. Practice social distancing, too, while at work. I understand the need for keeping your job and income--and I also understand the tough situation that your company is in. If your company has to close, of course, everyone loses their job - permanently. So, hang in there.....the strong probability is that you'll be fine.

Trusted Contributor

In addition to all other precautions aforementioned, use a face covering.

I will start face covering at work this week also.

The CDC recommends this if you are in crowded areas where is hard to keep six feet apart.

Touch that face covering by the ear straps, only and with clean hands only.