Respected Contributor

GoFundMe Scammers Found Guilty in Federal Court!

[ Edited ]

I knew from the start this entire story sounded fishy and was a sham...too bad innocent people were duped into giving!

"A homeless veteran pleaded guilty Wednesday in New Jersey federal court to conspiring with a woman and her then-boyfriend to concoct a feel-good story that helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars from a GoFundMe campaign.

The veteran, Johnny Bobbitt, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit money laundering.  The woman, Kate McClure, also pleaded guilty today.

Bobbitt, McClure, and her then-boyfriend Mark D'Amico, who still face state charges in Burlington County, New Jersey, were accused of fabricating a feel-good story about Bobbitt coming to McClure’s aid when she ran out of gas along the highway and gave her his last $20.

Their tale inspired thousands to donate on GoFundMe but things unraveled when Bobbitt accused McClure and D’Amico of stiffing him out of the money. Prosecutors have said the couple spent lavishly on themselves" (ABC News).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/homeless-veteran-woman-behind-gofundme-scandal-plead-guilty-in-...

Honored Contributor

Re: GoFundMe Scammers Found Guilty in Federal Court!

[ Edited ]

Bobbitt is facing up to 10 years in prison and McClure is facing up to 20 since the charge of wire fraud is added for her.

Her boyfriend has yet to enter a plea??

All three are as dumb as a stump..

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

One word sums it up... Greed

Respected Contributor

These go fund me accounts are a joke. I am glad they got caught!
Esteemed Contributor

They all need to spend considerable time in prison for this scam.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Go fund me is a scam. Period!
Honored Contributor

No, go fund me is not a scam. Unfortunately, it is misused And there needs to be a mechanism for better screening. I know for a fact that some go fund me accounts are very legitimate and worthy of donation.
Respected Contributor

I have donated via GoFundMe 3 times and knew who was receiving the funds and what they were going to do with the funds they received. The process works but scammers/con artists always find ways to exploit something good. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, It is choice you make. Please be careful. You really don't know these people. Many people con people because everybody has something go wrong in their lives That is the truth. Nobody goes through life without hardships.NOBODY! Be careful. ☺
Respected Contributor

Wasn't this in Philly?

HATE GoFundMe- I am shocked by what people feel entitled to!