Respected Contributor
My DD has a gluten allergy. It became obvious a couple of years ago when she became ill. Her doctor referred her to surgeon dnd they were scheduling gall bladder removal. Encouraged her to get opinions from gastroenterologist and he jumped on testing foods - she dropped gluten and immediately pain went away.
Years ago she had belching problem and we didn’t know what it was. Tonight went to restaurant and they advertised gluten free options. She tested her food prior to eating and her tester showed it had gluten. They redid but she had no more testers with her. Not long after starting she said it was making her ill. I was shocked at how severe her reaction.
Anyone else experience and have suggestions on how to cope?
Honored Contributor

Re: Gluten Allergy Help/Hints

@Twins Mom 

I wouldn’t feel comfortable dining at a restaurant unless they had separate everything. Ovens, pans, refrigerators and so on. 

Honored Contributor

Buy some more testers.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have been GF for a little over 35 years.  It can be difficult and there is gluten in food that people don't realize.  I have requested GF meals on planes and in resturants that were loaded with gluten, not because they were lying, but because they do not understand.

One thing that can contaminate GF food is Oíl fryers.  Potatoes are gluten free, but if they are cooked in Oíl that Tatar tots, fish or breaded chicken was fried in, they now contain gluten.

Some foods contain brown coloring which might contain gluten.  If the same knife is used to cut food that contains gluten is used for gluten free food, it will be contaminated. A cutting board can be contaminated along with serving spoons.

Many types of cheese contain gluten, as does processed meat. 

When I go out to eat, I choose an unseasoned steak or unseasoned seafood grilled, baked potato, intact and not cut,  salad with no croutons or dressing.  Bring your own or ask for Oíl and vinegar or lemon wedges. Many spices contain gluten to keep them from clumping. I add my own seasonings ( salt and pepper) at the table.

You have to be especially careful ordering breakfast.  Your bacon and eggs could be cooked in the same spot as pancakes or fresh toast was cooked on minutes before.

If you want eggs, get them in the shell..soft or hard boiled.

It takes a while and lots of trial and error to figure out how to order and request that foods be cooked.  It's always good to carry a gluten free snack with you.

In addition, beer and other malt drinks contain gluten as does bourbon and most whiskey.  A drink or food prepared with these are off limits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am lactose and gluten intolerant and a few other things.

when my husband and I go out to eat , I forgo everything. NO bread,pasta, cheese products/milk products.

All I eat is a meat which I can only tolerate is plain unsalted/unseasoned meats and a plain baked potato or white rice. that is all I can eat. 

I became very ill some 10 years or so ago. symptoms kept getting worse, i would see doctors and nothing would help, i was kind of revolving door for doctor offices. i suffered so many years, some days I could not even leave the house I was so sick and hours in the bathroom. 

earlier this year I became so tired and fed up with feeling so lousy I went to my GI doctor and told him point blank all my symptoms and told him about all the testings I have had done over the years, and how horrible i still felt. He began testings on me  and after about 6 weeks of so many tests he finally got to the root of the problem. I have inflamatory bowel disease.

He told me to take a probiotic , he gave a listings of a few he found to be most beneficial for my symptoms to try them and see which one worked., I found IB Gard to be the best for me. I take 3 capsules a day and have been pretty good for over 8 months now. it took me about 6 weeks for the IB Gard to begin to really work with my systems and finally I actually could leave the house. 

I watch what I eat, and I have learned to eat wisely and just give up what I so loved. bread products, ice cream cakes and so many other food items. It was hard at first but it each day when I have a craving I think to myself do I want to be as sick as I was so many years or feel pretty good. I chose the feel pretty good and just forgo what I really want,

Frequent Contributor

@viva923 Have you looked at the low-FODMAP diet? 

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/what-is-ibs/

https://www.monashfodmap.com/about-fodmap-and-ibs/high-and-low-fodmap-foods/

I have the Monash University FODMAP app on my phone to check foods and tolerable amounts. 

Monash University in Australia and King's College London are leading the academic field in studying FODMAPS.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/lsm/schools/life-course-sciences/departments/nutritional-sciences/projects/fod...

I have IBS, for years, but being on the low FODMAP diet has really helped. There were so many foods I thought were okay to eat, but were actually making my symptoms worse, honey, garlic and onions being some of the worst.

I take IBGard, too, and love it. It really does help to keep the gut calmed down. It is so hard when people around you are eating delicious food and you can't touch it knowing that if you do, you will pay the price for it later.

Frequent Contributor

@Twins Mom 

When I go out to restaurants I stick to grilled salmon or chicken and a salad, no croutons and balsamic vinegrette. It gets old, but, for me, I've found that that is the safest choice. I tell the server I have gluten intolerance no matter what I order.

Also, check the reviews of restaurants before you go to see if people have commented on gluten issues after eating there, and post reviews on restaurants you have found that say they have gluten free choices, but then your daughter has reactions to the food to let others know. Maybe the restaurants will clean up their act if enough people comment.

I think restaurants are trying, but there is a lot of misinformation out there about gluten and gluten intolerance.

Regular Contributor

Twins Mom,   Please tell me more about Gluten tester.....I have newly diagnosed Celiac Disease and am not aware of testers..   Thank you. Lexi

Respected Contributor

@ Lexi
The gluten tester is called NIMA, bought at Amazon. She saw on Today Show and thought it worth a try. Cost is scary: 12 tests for $50.
I saw her use it on the pasta that was supposed to be gluten-free. She put in tester, and it showed to have gluten. She only brought one tester so could not check second plate of food. 😟