Honored Contributor

Re: Gifts aren't opened at Showers anymore?

@bikerbabe wrote:
Why do people think that a gender reveal is a gift or money grab? I’ve been to several and it was just a happy party! There were no presents or requests for money.

@bikerbabe 

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but it feels like they're taking it too far.

The mom to be has a baby shower ... and perhaps was recently married and had bridal showers and wedding presents.  How many parties does she need? 

The gender reveal thing is unnecessary unless the woman doesn't feel like she's getting enough attention or was disappointed in the other shower gifts.   

Gotta cash in and any excuse will do.

Bottom line ... It's either a boy or a girl.   With all the social media options, AND good old email, no party is necessary.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Why do people think that a gender reveal is a gift or money grab? I’ve been to several and it was just a happy party! There were no presents or requests for money.

@bikerbabe 

my daughter had a gender reveal party.....much smaller than the baby shower. the only person who knew what sex the baby was was her best friend.

there were no gifts, dress was casual, and it didnt last much longer than about two hours. one of her best friends made a beautiful cake which had blue inside and we "shot off" the confetti rockets to reveal.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I havn't been to a baby shower in a long time but I like to see them opening the presents, part of the fun!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Soooo

It’s OK to have a party or a get together but not if it’s a “gender reveal” - even if the party has no requests for gifts or cash and is just happy celebration?

🤣🤪
Esteemed Contributor

Baby showers & bridal showers yes, wedding gifts no.

Respected Contributor

I recently have attended several baby and bridal showers. Weird how they are all happening within a couple of months. Gifts were opened at every shower except for one. Just went to my granddaughter's bridal shower five days ago, and she opened all of her gifts while her guests watched and complimented each one. It was great fun. I think not opening them is rather rude. Each giver should have the joy of seeing the recipient open the gift they chose for them. 

Honored Contributor

I liked watching then open presents especially min, lol. But it took to long. If you go to venue they only allow 3 hours for a shower by the time you congregate eat do games have dessert it's over. The Staffa nd servers are clearing tables and pulling chairs lol. They do send the gifts to the home. My granddaughter opened about 5 from people who came a long ways and brought present with them. I enjoyed it. The thing I don't  get  with these new age showers is men are invited too in my day a man wouldn't be caught dead at a baby shower. It ups the costs too b, but oh well. That's the way it is

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Nataliesgramma ... All of the baby showers I've gone to the gifts were always opened up! I loved seeing all the adorable little clothes and there were lots of ooohs and awwws... When my niece had her little girl the weather was nice so the shower was outside under a big tent. There were about 20-25 people there and we all had fun...at least l did !!! 

My niece then became pregnant with a baby boy and he's due October 16. Her Mom (my sister) gave her a "Sprinkle" which l never heard of but that was fun too. Her daughter will be 3 on October 22 so they'll have pretty close birthdays!! She helped her Mom open her gifts. 🎁 That was fun to watch! My little niece can't wait till her baby brother is born! 💙

l haven't been to a bridal shower in a long time. Those aren't as much fun...in my opinion...