Respected Contributor

It would be both professionally and ethically against standards for her to accept a monetary gift for her services. I  understand that you want to thank her for doing a wonderful thing for you, but it could be interpreted in a way you don't mean it to. I could be interpreted by co workers to mean that pay for play is the way the office works. It's unfair to the other patients that do not have your means. Your appreciation and maybe a card to her boss or manager would be more acceptable. Or perhaps an edible arrangement to her and the staff.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I think the best gift is that you continue to be a patient.

And I think people really appreciate cards in the mail.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Coquille

Rather than money:  seasonal food or cookie tray for her which she can keep or share with the office staff.

If you prefer flowers, get silk arrangement because of possible office allergies.  ( My doctor’s office requests no scented soaps, oils, perfumes in the office ).

Before Christmas I regularly gift both my doctor and her office manager ( only staff person there ) with a personal gift bag: outerwear gorgeous scarves and indoor fleece wraps when relaxing.

Hope that helps.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Gifting Help Please

[ Edited ]

@Coquille  To me, in general for businesses a thank you would be something impersonal because you don't know them.  When you get stuff you don't like, then you worry about not using it, getting rid of it etc.  then it's stuff you don't want and you don't look at it fondly.

An appropriate gift card would be a starbucks card with a nice card thanking them and saying "Let me buy you a cup of coffee as thanks" or a $25 gift card and card expressing your appreciation and "Let me buy you lunch" or something like that.

People doing their job deserve thanks.  So often gifts are unwanted and a big enough money gift puts them in a bad position.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Gifting Help Please

[ Edited ]

I definitely think a sincere thank you is in order.  

This employee is quite an asset in this office in that she has learned to communicate patients needs very effectively thru a complex insurance system.    It can be done, and it usually takes a determined person with very strong verbal skills to do it, which is exactly why she’s the office manager.   Doctors offices succeed or fail based on the skill of the office manager.   

I say NO to a large gift card for this employee.   I would be more favorable to sending my thanks in a holiday floral arrangement, or delivery of a packaged edible gift for everyone in the office to enjoy.