Respected Contributor

If you are looking for a Christmas gift for a man especially a history buff, you might consider Caswell-Massey  Number Six cologne. It was a favorite of George Washington. Caswell-Massey was first produced in 1752 and Washington gave it to Lafayette as a gift while helping with the Revolutionary War.

It was sold in a store where I worked, and I just randomly remembered it this morning. Caswell-Massey was in the White House throughout the years except for one presidency in the 70's and then it returned. I do not know if that is the case from 2000 til today. I left the store and didn't follow. I do not recall the cologne being expensive, but it was made here in America. Remember bathing was less frequent in 1752, so a good cologne was necessary. Just a fun idea from an old person whose memory jumps around through past decades when I am bored.

Respected Contributor

Wow...what a blast from the past, Caswell Massey. I used to have one of their musk oils in the 70's. I can almost smell it in my mind as I write this. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I just did a quick Google search of CM...still exists. Headquarters, Newport, R.I.  Looks like there's a store in Manhattan. And of course, online too. I didn't look up if Number Six cologne, (or that musk), still exists, but the company does.

Respected Contributor

I don't recall this cologne, but in the late 90's QVC sold CM I ordered a couple of things. I know what that is like to remember the things from years and years ago. I just can't remember what happened yesterday. lol