Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting recorded calls from irs

It is best NOT to answer any number that you do not recognize,,,,,they see that they have "a live one" and will not only continue to call...but will sell your number to other scammers....

Honored Contributor

Just got one (IRS) and saved it to enjoy again later.

PLEASE remember to never EVER respond to such calls. They are NEVER legit.

Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

I just bought Call Blocker from HSN, hopefully I can again have control over these stupid, disruptive calls! Preying on defenseless people to scam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, newjersey, I got those calls, too.  If you have caller id, just type in (on Google or any search engine) the number including area code that left the message.  This is for any suspicious call.  There is a site (with some name like "Who's Calling Me?" where people post these numbers and anything they have learned about the spammers.

Sometimes there are dozens of other people will have posted about it there. This scam had a lot of reports.

They called me at all hours, occasionally leaving that message.  According to the posters on that site I got when I Googled the #, they are thieves trying to get your social security number.

I didn't have time to read the whole thread and someone has probably mentioned it, but the IRS has posted on their website that they are aware of this scam and they want people to report to them.  They also said they always send a letter about tax problems. They never phone about such things.

Being too busy that day to report and fill in a form, I just blocked the site on my phone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nataliesgramma wrote:

It is best NOT to answer any number that you do not recognize,,,,,they see that they have "a live one" and will not only continue to call...but will sell your number to other scammers....

Absolutely correct @Nataliesgramma, and worth repeating.  In addition, some reports say that engaging them and purposefully angering them by playing games will get your phone number on even more lists you wish you'd never been on. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

It's probably just a coincidence but since I decided to stop even listening to these voice mails every day, the annoying calls are much less.  I finally settled on checking once a week, and yesterday (9/25) I had only one telemarketer call for the entire week.  Before I was getting calls every single day.

Maybe after months of calling with zero response from me, these scammers have moved on.

Esteemed Contributor

And they are such idiots that they actually leave a recorded message about the impending arrest. The credit card services scam, at least in my state, is going to be involved in a class action lawsuit. Not sure how that's going to work since there is no name to attach to the scam usually when the calls come through. The lawsuit has to do with the Do Not Call Registry, so I doubt it will be for millions of dollars. That means they will just keep on with it.

Respected Contributor

IT IS A SCAM!!!  Don't make the call.  Go to the IRS official website.  There should be some information as well as a real IRS phone number you can call to report the matter.

Honored Contributor

cats01 wrote:

IT IS A SCAM!!!  Don't make the call.  Go to the IRS official website.  There should be some information as well as a real IRS phone number you can call to report the matter.

This advice from Cats, and others, bears repeating a zillion times!!!!

Anybody who is not one thousand percent certain about this needs to read and heed.   

It's hard for some of us to imagine that ANYBODY would take this bait.  But the reality is that there are many who will.  MANY!