Trusted Contributor

Getting recorded calls from irs

Stating they are filing a case against me then the recorded message left a number for me to call.  Is this some type of scam? What can I do to stop these calls?  Thanks.  There is no reason I would be in trouble with the IRS.

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting recorded calls from irs

@newjersey we kept getting those too and we ignored them... they are probably a sales pitch of some sort.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

It is a scam.   Do not talk to them. The  IRS would send you something in the mail.

Super Contributor

It's a well known scam. The IRS will never call a taxpayer regarding taxes owed. They communicate via mail. I've gotten many, many of these scam calls. I block the number as I can, but they often call from different numbers, so even that can be tough to do. Just ignore them. My local police department said there is nothing that they can do unless someone is foolish enough to fall for the scam and looses money. 

Honored Contributor

Like the calls from "Microsoft", these recorded "IRS" calls are indeed a scam.  Neither will call you out of the blue, unsolicitated from you.

You can Google this and see that others have had the same thing happen, including us.  Ignore it or report it to authorities.

Trusted Contributor

Lovestoteach, did the calls stop? I've had two today and they are getting on my nerves.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got one of those phone calls too. Just disregard. The IRS would not call you, you would get a letter in the mail.  It is not a legitimate phone call, especially when you have done nothing wrong.  

Valued Contributor

We have gotten several of these..threatening to SUE us. A dead giveaway, they wouldn't have to sue to get your money. I had already heard that it was a scam going around, so I was prepared and just hung up. They want to get you to give them important info. DON'T BE FOOLED!!

Esteemed Contributor

If you have the function on your telephone, "block" the calls from coming in.  I've blocked quite a few.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Supposedly, the IRS never calls, they handle problems via snail mail.

More and more scams are out by way of phone calls, especially to senior citizens.  I don't know why the phone company doesn't block them, our local ABC consumer advocate says it's quite possible to block them.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices