Respected Contributor

Re: Getting recorded calls from irs

It's a scam....  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't answer calls that you don't recognize the number...let it go to the answering machine/voice mail. If you answer they will keep calling and calling.......and I swear they tell other telemarketing people to call your number because someone answers the phone.

Blocking the number is also a good thing to do.

Honored Contributor

Those calls are very dangerous for seniors, who might have to run to their phones to answer.   It's amazing that politicians haven't thought about trying to do away with these telemarketers/scammers.  Think of the votes they would have, using this very important nuisance as a voting tactic.  Well, maybe someone is reading this.  Also, contact your local representatives, see what they can do about it.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

Stating they are filing a case against me then the recorded message left a number for me to call.  Is this some type of scam? What can I do to stop these calls?  Thanks.  There is no reason I would be in trouble with the IRS.

I went through this last spring.  Despite the fact I knew it was a scam, it was still upsetting.

The IRS does not hire heavily accented personnel to contact you by phone.

Honored Contributor

SCAM  HAS BEEN DISCUSSED MANY TIMES ON THIS BOARD BEFORE , delete the message and if you can block the number do so and do NOT Answer

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Repeats-Warning-about-Phone-Scams

Honored Contributor

Certainly sounds like a scam to me, but if you're at all uneasy, find an IRS number and call them yourself.

Do not call the number left for you.  Do not call that number.  Do not!

Honored Contributor

I'm ever so glad that I have called ID.  I only answer calls that I recognize. If it's a legitimate call, they'll leave a message....and I can always pick up then before they complete their message.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have received these automated calls saying there will be a suit against me.............I jotted down the # the message told me to call.

I went to the IRS website and reported the SCAM ~ there is a form on this site which allows you to fill in the number the message asks you to call AND if you have caller ID, you can fill in the number from which you were called.

I think I've received 2 of these calls ~~~~~~ about 2 months apart.  I understand that it is upsetting, I was sick to my stomach after the first call, even though I had no reason to be nervous ~ still off-putting!

It's a SCAM, but I know how you feel!

Honored Contributor

There is a national do not call registry, plus, whatever state your in do not call registry, also. This sounds like a phishing scam.  I signed up our home phone and cellphones on the do not call lists. It works.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE - where I live now the telemarketing calls/scam calls are non stop. I have reported them on the do not call registry - it's a joke because they know nothing happens to them - they just change numbers and keep calling.