Esteemed Contributor

A couple of days ago, I needed a haircut - badly. My hair is short and wavy and it was like one curly ball. I posted on nextdoor and a female responded. She rents out a space in the next town over - as she's a makeup artist and hairstylist. Now - she's working from her home - her husband divided their garage and half of it is her salon --- so cute. She's 3 minutes from my home. She gave me a very nice haircut and told me that she's out of work - and not eligible for unemployment as she's self-employed. She's fortunate that her husband is working and can afford to pay the bills. It made me feel so good, that she found a way to get some income - plus she's the sweetest person - and only charged me $25.

Now - I won't be going back to SuperCuts.

Respected Contributor

You're braver than I.  Glad you like your cut.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

My nail tech called me today to let me know "she did housecalls" if I wanted to schedule a appointment.

ahhhh nope!!!  She sounded like she was surprised because she's been doing it through the shutdown.

Apparently, she has been informed the salons and nail places will not open for another few weeks.

Interesting...

Super Contributor

Re: Getting a Haircut

[ Edited ]

Here in NY, all non-essential businesses are closed at least until May 15th, but I think it will go until at least June.

The owner of my nail salon texted me last week that she might not ever be able to reopen....so sad, as I believe this will be the case for a lot of businesses.

As for the original poster - I hope you both at least wore masks, but what you did is still risky behavior.  I am a nurse who works for the Department of Health and also at a nursing home, whose father died 3 weeks ago from coronavirus that he contracted at a short-term rehab facility, I see each and every day (and have personally experienced)  what Covid-19 can do!  

Honored Contributor

Danger.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

A hairdresser in my town said the state would take away licenses of anyone who they found out was doing hair in their home.  She said she would not risk it.  

Honored Contributor

I imagine WHEN it is safe enough to go get a haircut, the stylists will be SO BUSY that it will take months it get an appointment. 

Respected Contributor

I call my hairdo the Pandemic Style.

Every style is unique to each individual. The Look for 2020!

And worn very nicely under a scarf, hat or whatever.

Enjoy your professional cut.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I imagine WHEN it is safe enough to go get a haircut, the stylists will be SO BUSY that it will take months it get an appointment.

I already made an appointment for mid-May, and will reschedule if I have to.  Not a major deal for me - I colored my own hair 1 1/2 weeks ago and am wearing it in pulled back or up until I can get a professional cut.  

Respected Contributor

I bought a big set of Conair hot rollers from Amazon.  It's really helping my mid-length layered bob look pretty good.