Super Contributor

Re: Getting Rid of Smell in Clothes!

This advice came straight from Joan Rivers. She spoke of cleaning stage costumes that cannot go to the cleaners, over and over... Pour some vodka into a spray bottle, and spray. That's it! I've done it. Some things may need a little more than a light spray. Just let them air out before putting away. I have a small spray bottle filled at all times in my bathroom. 

Honored Contributor

What's been working for me, for years, is to wrap the garment in news print (newspaper).  As long as it isn't bombarded with fragrance sample fragrances.

Anyway, you can hang the jacket, and wrap all around it with newspaper (the print pages).  Not the photos.  Keep wrapping all around, tape the pages together.

Or, simply place the jacket in the newsprint, similar to wrapping a present.  Tape all together.

Wait a week or more.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm going to order charcoal from Amazon.

I can buy it by little bags.  I don't want to dry clean it first because I worry that it will cause it to "SIT" in the clothes.

The charcoal should absorb the smell.

Stay tuned.

Yes, activated charcoal should work.  I use it all the time all over the house to remove stale smells and odors.  I put in the bottom of garbage cans as well.

To solve your problem you will need to outgas the fabric.  Meaning put the garment in a tightly closed box.  A box meant to store clothes or dresses work great.  Put your jacket in the box with the activated charcoal and seal it up for a few days.  If you can put the box in a warm area the better/faster it will work.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  qvc sold those charcoal bags many years ago and I ordered a set and they did not work at all in eliminating odors.  Maybe a different vendor or manufacturer made an improvement.  Let us know please. 

I stopped buying clothing from qvc awhile ago due to the overwhelming smell whether it was Isaac's or denim and co or Linea.  Also, I've thown out stuff that I waited too long to  return.  Really no telling if these things are cancer causing due to cancer taking so long to grow and become obvious. Wonder how Ca is dealing with all these smelly fabrics and garments that scientists say are carcinogenic. Internet says constant exposure causes ALS - Lou Gehrig disease. 

Honored Contributor

Buy some odo ban in spray bottle,home depot sells it ,hang coat outside, spray it with odoban, leave it outside.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm going to order charcoal from Amazon.

I can buy it by little bags.  I don't want to dry clean it first because I worry that it will cause it to "SIT" in the clothes.

The charcoal should absorb the smell.

Stay tuned.

Those do not work well.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Try a detergent specifically made to eliminate odors.  If the odor is really bad, I add a little white vinegar to the wash - a little less than 1/4 cup for an XL load.  You may need an extra rinse.  I do this with my workout clothes and dog blankets and it really helps.

Anyone who has bought a Vanity Fair bra probably notices a stink too.  I usually have to wash a new one twice, the first one with vinegar, to get rid of the smell.

I hate to think what chemicals they use that cause such horrible smells.  It's hard to think they're safe.

Honored Contributor

Dry cleaners use toxic chemicals. I always hang dh’s clothes outside on the patio after coming from the dry cleaner. The chemicals are carcinogenic. I worked in a fabric store similar to Joann’s when I was in college. I became sick shortly after starting there. Trouble breathing, etc. found out the “sizing” on the fabrics is a “sealant” many manufacturers put on their fabrics to stiffen it and make it feel more substantial. You can buy spray sizing and some use it instead of starch. I can’t be around the sizing at all. Any garment that needs newspapers charcoal, or anything else to detoxify it is a garment I don’t want.
Honored Contributor

You are right. So many things that are sold are dangerous, but big money keeps them on the market.
Esteemed Contributor

Ugh. I'd hate that. I'd either send it back or take it to a dry cleaners and see if they could get the smell out of it.