Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I don't get offended by much of what people say unless of course it would be causing physical harm of myself or someone else.

Respected Contributor

of Re: Getting Called Baby By Strangers.

[ Edited ]

Honestly, with the horror in the streets of many of our fine cities, being called a term of endearment by a fellow shopper trying to do a good deed would certainly not have angered me.  I am sure it was just a word he often used out of habit and he certainly wasn't trying to marginalize you as a infant.  Seriously.....

I live in the Missouri Ozarks and to be called hon or dear or sweetie is the norm - certainly by waitresses or small shop owners like the bakery or florist, etc. 

I am also not offended by doors being held open for me when entering a business if it so happens that another is standing there and wants to do so (be it a man or woman) as I certainly do the same.  Shoppers almost always let someone behind them with fewer items go ahead of them.  And then we just say, pass it on.  Same as never taking a quarter when you give someone on the Aldi's lot your empty cart - just a tiny act of kindness. 

Live is short so I don't plan to waste any of my minutes that are left being upset with a fellow shopper who was trying to be kind.  

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I hate people I don't know calling me baby, honey or sweetie.

Today I ran to a convenience store a couple miles from home. A bunch of guys were getting out of a truck with out of state plates.

I was deciding what I wanted while waiting for someone to check out in front of me. He left and another guy, probably 50 came up and I motioned for him to go ahead as he was holding several items.

I got, "go ahead baby, I have all day."  Baby?  I am 490 in dog years.

I should have gone Julia Sugarbaker on him but if his Mother couldn't teacher him manners I'm not wasting my breath.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!  I have to remember that.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I understand why it would rub you the wrong way, but you are right to let it pass without comment.

I grew up in NYC, which meant walking past hundreds of construction workers every day.  They'd whistle and say suggestive things. As a young woman I found it offensive.  Now that I'm an old woman, and virtually invisible, I wonder why it bothered me so much.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

The ONLY way I would be offended is if it were said in an offensive way.  I don't go though life looking to be offended.  That's a pretty poor hobby.  

Honored Contributor

I'm with the OP. But then I don't like all those terms coming from anyone, especially when the circumstance seems as it's patronizing. But no, of course I would do just as the OP did: Come here and vent!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I should add that this is not something that weighs on me, and I have a feeling the same is true for @CrazyKittyLvr2.

It's just a topic to discuss.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I understand why it would rub you the wrong way, but you are right to let it pass without comment.

I grew up in NYC, which meant walking past hundreds of construction workers every day.  They'd whistle and say suggestive things. As a young woman I found it offensive.  Now that I'm an old woman, and virtually invisible, I wonder why it bothered me so much.

@house_cat  I lived and worked in Manhatten, I know exactly what you mean, and that behavior was rampant. It didn't bother me too much then even though with 'women's lib' it probably should have. Better than, like you say, being invisible. When that started it actually hurt. 

Respected Contributor

Terms of endearment from stangers never bother me....today a smiling young man at the drive thru called me sweetie & it made my day. I'm 70.

Honored Contributor

Well, I have a different thing that irritates me although I never say anything because I know it's not a big deal.  

I hate for people (it's usually a guy) to call me "young lady".  Such as "what can I get for you, young lady".  I feel belittled.  It is so obvious that I'm not young.    Just call me madam since my name is unknown.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)