Honored Contributor

Re: Getting Cable Bill Lower

@vacationday wrote:

I too have been facing difficulty with this issue.  My promotional rate for new customers dropped off and I was promised 2 years ago that all I had to do was call and get new discounts added back.  No such luck.  Instead, my bill went up as would be expected when a promotional rate ends.  I was told to get rid of my showtime, hbo etc to lower my bill when what I really wanted to do was get rid of my landline and like another here was told, my bill would go up not down.  Landline is staying against our wishes.  Will have to check out other avenues.  

I've found that too.  I had a Triple Play bundle and wanted to drop TV.  My rate would have actually increased.

If they aren't willing to negotiate, even after talking with Customer Retention, the only thing you can do is cut back - TV to the lowest tier, internet to a lower speed, etc.  Well, you can also sign a two-year contract; that's what they really want.

Finally, I did actually drop TV.  I negotiated with Verizon for a less draconian rate increase and then switched to Comcast.

Honored Contributor

I lowered by cable bill 50% by switching to DirecTV about 5 years ago.  I get everything I had with cable for 1/2 of what I paid cable.

I call DirecTV every 6 months to get a new promotion discount.  I tell them I can't afford their bill and they transfer me once or twice but I always end up with something.  I've had 20% off my bill for the last 6 months.

Honored Contributor

We just switched back to Cablevision/Optimum after having Fios for the last 4 years because of the pricing increases.

We're saving about $50 a month and getting more channels (not that there's anything on them either to watch) by switching.

Funny thing is we never heard from Fios trying to entice us to stay.

Honored Contributor

You can read my post it's #46, but here it is in a nutshell. I called Spectrum on January 25, looking to lower my bill. I was promised a $30 deduction, I thought great. I get an email from Spectrum about the change in my bill, it's only $15 less. I call and get some BS excuse that because of the changes that were made my internet fee went up. To my surprise I got my bill yesterday and it's for the amount I was paying prior to my calls, no discount. I call and the customer service rep tells me the person who did the order didn't put it through, that's why the higher bill. He told me he corrected it, was sorry, and was promised I shouldn't have a problem. Why don't I believe him?!!!

Contributor

It shouldn't be such a nightmare!

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

Your post reminded me of our experience with FIOS years ago.   We had Comcast and were happy with it but one day at the mall I stopped at the Verizon kiosk just to see if they could do any better for us.

Picked out what I wanted, signed paperwork and set up the installation.   DH took off work to be there at 9:00 am when they were coming.   At 1:00 he called me and said they hadn't come nor called.  He waited and no Verizon.  

I got on the phone, talked to several people and was finally told that apparently they hadn't received the order from the kiosk.  

No apology.  No "we can be there in an hour or first thing in the morning", nothing.   I wrote several letters and never got one reply.  Sent emails and got no reply.

To say we'd go without TV and internet before ever doing business with Verizon is an understatement.   Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

We're still with Comcast years later and still 100% happy.