Respected Contributor

Re: Georgia Haircut guidelines

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

Back in the day  I taught Cosmetology and also traveled doing platform work.  As much as you teach State Board regulations, sanitation  and disinfecting it usually never gets practiced once they get license.  Salons get rigid before inspections and if they receive citation.  Most owners try, but get over whelmed and don't always get total cooperation. I cut my own hair as after teaching and being an experiment specimen, I get panic attacks the second I sit in a salon chair.  I start barking orders, once even took scissors to cut a section as example.  Lol,  I 86'd myself from salons. I am sure everyone in But I did go to nail salon, a highly recommended one a year.ago.  I have spent the last year growing my nails out after nail beds were buffed to close to cuticle, my nails were bumpy, split   I got fungus in one foot  week after pedicure.  They get sterile instruments, but the dust from nails is everywhere. And they reuse files.   I pity the lungs of those young girls.  They are suppose to have proper ventilation, an open door is not proper ventilation.   With nail dust comes bacteria. With bacteria, fungus and mites.  I have known the dust to get in hair ...thick, they itch.  
all that said, salons do the best they can.  If they can't control bacteria, fungus, and such how are they going to control virus.

In this economy with most business and officials not working out in the field, I doubt there will be any visits from State Board

Where I go to get a pedicure they wear masks....and I bring my own stuff.  They think I am weird.  Of course they are not open now in my state and I wouldn't be getting a pedicure this spring summer anyway due to this virus.  

BUT I am hoping by June our state will let the salon open for color & cut....that's a big IF around here.(May 6th appt cancelled)  I don't think it will happen.  Told my spouse this and he is not happy!  So I cut his hair today...with that trimmer thing...and some scissors for the top.  Came out good.  His is much easier then mine to get by with.  I will color my hair again this week....but cutting my own hair is beyond me.  Will let it grow out until they open...whenever that is.  

Doing my H's hair today was a learning experience....good thing he has curly hair like me...you can hide mistakes easier LOL!

Valued Contributor

According to Snopes, the efficacy of face masks against the spread of COVID-19 is unknown (regarding percentages). 

Honored Contributor

This is what Snopes has to say about masks. TLDR: They recommend them because the CDC recommends them.

"The CDC elaborated on the purpose of wearing homemade cloth masks during the COVID-19 pandemic. The CDC writes that since many people with coronavirus may be “asymptomatic,” meaning that they don’t show any symptoms, wearing a cloth mask can prevent these contagious individuals from unknowingly spreading the disease:

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus. CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators. Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

When we reached out to the CDC, a spokesperson reiterated this point, saying that wearing a mask is a good way of “strengthening the social distancing that we are already doing.”

A spokesperson for the CDC told us:

“As we study the virus, CDC has learned that a good proportion of individuals who have COVID-19 spread virus before they become symptomatic and a few people never have symptoms at all but are still infected and infectious. That means, that people who are not coughing or sneezing can be a source of infection for others. Something simple like speaking is enough to generate aerosols that can spread the infection to other people.

A simple cloth mask is a way to contain respiratory secretions right at the source and not put other people at risk. The mask traps the droplets before they spread into the environment. Therefore, “my mask protects you, and your mask protects me!” It’s a way of strengthening the social distancing that we are already doing.

The numbers provided in the above-displayed viral social media post are also suspiciously specific. While there have been studies regarding the efficacy of masks during COVID-19 pandemic, researchers are still learning about how this disease spreads and how to best prevent it. For instance, Live Science noted that two recent studies regarding the efficacy of face masks during this pandemic came to slightly different conclusions. 

Live Science writes:

For the first time, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recommended that even seemingly healthy people wear masks over their mouths and noses when venturing out of their homes into places where it is difficult to maintain distance from other people. But there is still major debate over how much masks — particularly the homemade fabric masks that the CDC recommends for the public — can slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

Researchers, writing in two new papers, attempt to tackle the efficacy of masks, one more rigorously than the other, and come to differing conclusions. One study examined the effect of masks on seasonal coronaviruses (which cause many cases of the common cold) and found that surgical masks are helpful at reducing how much virus a sick person spreads. The other looked particularly at SARS-CoV-2 and found no effect of either surgical or fabric masks on reducing virus spread, but only had four participants and used a crude measure of viral spread.

The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren’t the most important protection against the coronavirus.

Some experts have also expressed concern that widespread use of homemade cloth masks give people a false sense of security. The White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, Dr. Deborah Birx, said that social distancing is still the most important preventative measure a person can take during this pandemic:

“The most important thing is the social distancing and washing your hands,” she said. “And we don’t want people to get an artificial sense of protection because they’re behind a mask. Because if they’re touching things — remember your eyes are not in the mask — so if you’re touching things and then touching your eyes you’re exposing yourself in the same way.”

The World Health Organization (WHO) reiterated this point. WHO said in a statement that “masks alone cannot stop the pandemic:” 

“Masks alone cannot stop the pandemic. Countries must continue to find, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact. Mask or no mask, there are proven things all of us can do to protect ourselves and others – keep your distance, clean your hands, cough or sneeze into your elbow, and avoid touching your face.”

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Oklahoma began opening as well so their salons are now open.  The sister of a friend of mine is a hairdresser in OK.  She posted about it on her FB page.  

Basically she said that clients should wear a mask and all stylists would be wearing masks.  You are only allowed 1 person per stylist. When you get to the salon, you are supposed to call/text your stylist and tell her you are there and she will let you know when you can come in.  You are not allowed to bring anyone with you to your appointment.  

That was it.  It said nothing about how they will be protecting clients by cleaning, etc.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

As long as the chairs and smocks are cleaned, we're fine.  I'm far more concerned about getting medical care for my dad since the hospitals are empty, and other practices are essentially closed.  

It doesn't matter how clean chairs and smocks are if people are breathing all over each other.