Regular Contributor

My Granaughter and her DH are having their first child.  I can't begin to tell you how excited my husband and I are...our first Great Grandchild.  In a few weeks there will be a Gender Reveal party.  I have to admit we haver never been to one.  I am wondering if we should take a gift.  Yes or no??  Your help would be much appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

No, you don't bring a gift.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gender Reveal Party

[ Edited ]

Should you bring a present? Just a hostess gift like you would bring to any party. Maybe a cute fire extinguisher.

Edited to add: But much more importantly, congratulations on your grandbaby-to-be! That's what matters: That the baby will be welcomed and celebrated and loved.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A gift is not required, but always welcomed and appreciated.

I always give the couple a gift card for dinner.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeesh, people are still having these in spite of several tragedies occuring? Deaths, fires, including that massive fire in California in which a fireman died. The firing off of a minature canon that killed the father to be and other incidences of awfulness. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Yeesh, people are still having these in spite of several tragedies occuring? Deaths, fires, including that massive fire in California in which a fireman died. The firing off of a minature canon that killed the father to be and other incidences of awfulness. 

I agree that these parties got out of hand and I hope people are forewarned and are careful.  Personally, I think these parties are kind of dumb. But whatever. My brother's kids had them.  My son wanted nothing to do with that nonsense. Congrats to the OP!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been to one - no gifts were expected but I brought a dessert.   I think if you want to bring something for the hostess like flowers or cookies that would be nice.  Once the gender is revealed there will probably be a baby shower and then it will be much easier to buy a gift - plus there is usually a registry nowadays.  And then of course after the beautiful baby is born!

Honored Contributor

The OP did not say it was one of those ridiculous fire hazard/explosion gender reveals.  It could be a simple slice of cake that reveals it -- just like the former QVC host Courtney Webb just had.

Congratulations @Silverfox1 .  Many blessings to your entire family!

Trusted Contributor

Why do today's parents need to know baby gender prior to birth?  Is it just so they can have the proper decor ready for the newborn?  Why do insurance companies pay for unecessary ultrasound tests just to reveal gender when there are so many ill people who truly need certain medical tests but who are denied coverage?  I can understand the test if there is a medical reason but dang, just paint the nursery yellow like your parents and grandparents did. You will have a happy surprise on precious one's birth day!

Honored Contributor
Not everyone has an unsafe gender reveal party. 🙄