Respected Contributor

No lines here in NJ. That was one of the awful memories of Sandy the odd/even days with long lines and police and National Guard directing the lines.everyone's nerves were frayed.  And the misinformation on what station had gas. I live out in the country so using gas to go get gas was terrible. Not to mention the cost even though they were not supposed to be allowed to jack up the prices. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom, on the news this morning it was reported that production is down by a quarter-pretty significant. Barges still can't reach Houston's Port, so gas going into the pipeline that stretches to the northeast is significantly impaired.

On the bright side, the Fed is releasing reserves, and one refinery said they would be back in production on Sunday....

For those unaffected, it's a holiday weekend, so demand is up....

But, we made it through shortages in the 70's: we'll make it through this!

It does look like Dallas is taking a punch in the stomach on shortages though....I really feel for people who are simply just trying to get home.

Boy oh boy, this is definitely going to Jack up the price of jet fuel....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom  Yep, it's the apocalypse in DFW!!!!!!!!  Police scanner indicates fights at some local gas stations.

JEEZ

kungfu.jpg

Honored Contributor

Turns out the gas lines here were all about panic.  One woman on the news said she only had 1/4 tank left and had to drive her kids to school.  She spent an hour! driving around to find gas and never found any.

She had enough to get her kids to school and ended up wasting what she had driving around instead.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Since yesterday in our little town gas price rose from 2.17 to 2.46. I am sensing gouging.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I was talking to someone in Dallas last night who said that a lot of stations are out of gas down there, and people are going a bit bananas about it, understandably.

I keep track of the futures prices of crude oil, and they've dropped over the past several days, from $55/barrel to $52. Usually current gasoline and heating oil prices are roughly tied to that trend, but not now. Today's increase is 0.5% for heating oil and over 5% for gasoline.

I guess the question is how high prices will go and how long they'll stay there. I guess we'll get a better sense when the waters recede and they can analyze the refinery and processing situation.

I'm replying to my own post just to have yesterday's numbers.

On August 31, the one-year forecast for a barrel was $52. September 1, it's $54.

August 31 heating oil was $1.67/gallon (my cost is about 25% higher). September 1, it's $1.76, a 4.76% increase. Gasoline is up 11.93% from yesterday, and that's on top of a 5%+ increase yesterday.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

@sidsmom, on the news this morning it was reported that production is down by a quarter-pretty significant. Barges still can't reach Houston's Port, so gas going into the pipeline that stretches to the northeast is significantly impaired.

On the bright side, the Fed is releasing reserves, and one refinery said they would be back in production on Sunday....

It does look like Dallas is taking a punch in the stomach on shortages though....I really feel for people who are simply just trying to get home.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Thanks for this post, @Poodlepet2. It injects a much-needed note of hope in the conversation.

Respected Contributor

I don't know what the price of gas is today.  I'm going out in a little while, and I'll look.

I anticipate it's going to be high because of Labor Day weekend.  We're driving my youngest to school tomorrow and on Tuesday we're taking my oldest.  So we're going to be using a lot of gas. 

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Thanks for the 'technical' updates!

I predict the 'temperature' of the situation will cool down by Monday. A lot of these large fills are probably for marine/boat use...or business/lawn service.  I won't need to refill until mid-next week...but I DID pause for concern as I drove by..!  I'm one of the good guys, playing by the rules, waiting until I actually need it...hopefully it'll lean in my favor & everything will be back to normal next week. =:0

Honored Contributor

No gas lines here. DH just filled up both cars & the gas cans $2.19 gallon yesterday.

I expect it to go up as normal since it's a Holiday weekend.