Respected Contributor
I had mine out in 1988 and I had to have mine cut out. The body still produces bile and last summer I did get another stone but I was able to pass it. It was very painful! Nowadays the surgery is almost painless and most people recover quickly. Good luck and get well and get better soon! Smiley Happy
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Super Contributor

I had it done the old fashioned way because it was 1977. Was in the hospital for a week and then had help at home for a few days more because I had a toddler. Every since that operation I've had problems digesting onions and garlic. Sometimes I can handle it, but other times it makes me horribly sick so I try to stay away from it.

Honored Contributor
I had the old fashioned surgery in 1970. Was hospitalized a week, the went home with an infection and had a 103 degree temp for the most miserable week of my life until the surgeon could lance it. I'd say this is to be avoided at all costs. I didn't have any side-effects until the last few years when I've developed some gastro-intestinal problems, which may or may not be related to gall bladder removal.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
On 2/12/2014 ilovedaisies said:

I had it done the old fashioned way because it was 1977. Was in the hospital for a week and then had help at home for a few days more because I had a toddler. Every since that operation I've had problems digesting onions and garlic. Sometimes I can handle it, but other times it makes me horribly sick so I try to stay away from it.

Oh gosh! Me too! I never equated the two! I did discover that it was mostly cooked onions. I thought it was garlic too because most times, garlic and onions are cooked together. You have no idea how many things I cook for my husband that I don't even eat because of the onions in them!

Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your information . I really enjoyed reading all of your experiences. I will try not to be such a baby when getting this procedure done!!

Valued Contributor
On 2/12/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

Laproscopic here, too, and came home the same day. That was about seven years ago. I've been fine ever since with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I can eat anything and have no issues. Not really scars either. I went in, went to sleep, and woke up without the bladder. Piece of cake. Seriously.

My doctor did warn me that sometimes a stone can get caught in the duct. It happens. He also warned about bad diarrhea with some patients after surgery, too. Nothing like that happened. I'm good.

Good luck with your surgery.

I am one of those people that the dr warned you about.{#emotions_dlg.lol}He said it may last a year. But it's been more than 20 years. I think it's like 1% that have this problem. that's me.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter is facing this right now and she is pregnant. She has had two really painful attacks and has seen a surgeon. He wants to wait until she has given birth. I am so worried over this. We are going to get a second opinion from a surgeon my GP really recommended. She had a really bad one on Saturday and I am just out of my mind with worry. She has her second opinion tomorrow but it is snowing so much here today that I am pretty sure they won't be opened tomorrow.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

If laparoscopic is an option, go for it. I had the traditional surgery and had complications from the anesthetic and a slow recovery. A year later I had adhesions.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the surgery about 11 years ago and they checked the ducts at the same time that they removed the gall bladder. I went home the same day and only took otc pain meds because prescription ones make me sick. The best of luck to you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor
On 2/12/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

My daughter is facing this right now and she is pregnant. She has had two really painful attacks and has seen a surgeon. He wants to wait until she has given birth. I am so worried over this. We are going to get a second opinion from a surgeon my GP really recommended. She had a really bad one on Saturday and I am just out of my mind with worry. She has her second opinion tomorrow but it is snowing so much here today that I am pretty sure they won't be opened tomorrow.

Oh gosh, Irsh.....so sorry to hear this. What a worry! The stones can get stuck in the ducts and be quite painful.....and sometimes cause major complications. Yikes. I would be worried about surgery when she's pregnant....and I would be worried if she waits. Pregnancy can cause gallbladder problems....that's when I had my problems...but it was 6 months after I gave birth, luckily. I just remember being in such pain that I wanted the surgery immediately.

Good luck .....and God bless your daughter and that precious new life.