Frequent Contributor
On 2/25/2014 tansy said: Assassination? I don't think that word on its own is a problem.

Well it does have two ""a double sses"" in it

Super Contributor

amazing, amazing, amazing how this very topic has been brought up several times in the last five years or so. Wink

Frequent Contributor

Why is it amazing? People come and people go so I am sure many topics get repeated time and time again.

Super Contributor

bonjour!

It's amazing..

Valued Contributor
On 2/25/2014 evelomaddict said:

what an interesting first post.

..to say the least...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

The way it was explained to me is that talking about others is gossip when the intent is to put them in an unfavorable light rather than building them up. And yes, I am guilty of it.

Honored Contributor
On 2/25/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 2/25/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 2/25/2014 brii said: You have exceeded the limit on asking too many questions in one post

Nice one.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Especially since it is her/his first post.

So would it be more acceptable if the OP had 10,000 posts? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Everyone had to have a 1st post. At least her first post is an interesting question.

1. OP, My definition of gossip is needless chatter about the details of another person's life or circumstances. While I don't believe all gossip needs to be of ill intent, it is rarely ever positive.

2. Gossiping is not acceptable to me.

3. Gossip is gossip whether the words are typed or spoken. The same information can be spread whether in an email, in a chat forum, texted, over the phone, over a lunch table, or standing around the water cooler.

4. It's gossip when you talk about another person, no matter who that person is. It's irrelevant whether that person is famous, a celebrity or what they do for a living. When you speak about another person "behind their back" or without their knowledge, it is gossiping.

5. The bible teaches us that it is wise to keep our own counsel, so gossiping is not considered a spiritual practice. If you ask yourself "WWJD"? He would not gossip.

"A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." ~ Proverbs 20:19

6. I don't have children, but if I did I would teach them that it is wrong to gossip. That people who gossip often do so out of their own insecurity, and try to build themselves up by making other people look bad. Gossipers often speak of the faults or flaws of another person, or reveal potentially embarrassing details without that person's knowledge or approval. Even if no harm in intended, it is still gossip. Finally I would tell them that while it is wrong to gossip, it is even worse to encourage others to do it too.

Whatever your reasons for asking that question, it is thought provoking, so thanks. Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of your posts.

What an excellent, thoughtful post, Jules.

AnikaBrodie, Thanks for the link. Looks like interesting reading.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts and answers. And very sorry if it was strange to ask or I asked too much I didn't mean you had to answer every one of my 6 questions. They were on my mind. I was severely hurt by gossip in my work place and hoping to get unbiased ideas here from you nice ladies. Thanks and blessings.

Respected Contributor

Gossip is done by people with small minds who don't like to or can't talk about anything important.

Contributor
On 2/25/2014 mgm2 said:

bonjour!

It's amazing..

Gosh such intelligence.