Super Contributor

Furious at CVS Covid testing

I am so darned mad right now. Went to CVS drive through RX pickup this morning. Three cars in front of me and it took almost half hour for each car. As the car in front of me got to the window I could hear the pharmacist talking for a long time. I watched the guy in the car get out and show ID through the window and then grab what I thought was an RX bag from the drawer.

A few minutes later it dawned on me these people were taking a Covid test in the drive-through RX pickup line. I was so furious when I got to the window to just pickup my RX. There was no hand sanitizer available to the people testing, nothing, and they were not wearing masks in their cars. After they tested they put the plastic bag in a box right next to the RX pickup drawer. CVS used to test at the other side of their parking lot and it never occurred to me they would do this in the drive-up.

Pharmacist said they do this until 1PM each day and I should plan to come after that for my future RXs. 

NO warning sign, no hand sanitizer, nothing. I am so afraid I was exposed today as I could not wear my mask to talk to the Pharmacy through the thick glass. 
Honored Contributor

Re: Furious at CVS Covid testing

Did you call the corporate office or speak to store manager after you got home to voice your concerns or just come here to complain? 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is a HORRIBLE idea by CVS. Not only is a logistical nightmare for people trying to pick up prescriptions (the whole purpose of the window/drive-up), but it sounds as if they are potentially exposing everyone in the drive-through to the COVID virus. They should have a separate tented testing area on the parking lot. They would need to have very strict sanitation and measures to avoid contamination as well as shutting the drive-through at 1:00 p.m. for a complete sterlization every day. You should call the headquarters and let them know what's happening. That cannot be sanctioned by corporate. If you're like my parents, they aren't able to go inside for their pick-ups, so they would have the same issues. I'm so sorry!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Coming here and complaining is a good way to tip off other posters about a pretty bad situation. Even our local multi-doctor clinic has the covid testing line outside of the building.  It's going to be interesting this winter, but they are doing it right.

Respected Contributor

Why couldn't you wear your mask at the drive through? I picked up three prescriptions yesterday. Had my mask on the entire time. Conversed as normal. Picked up my bag and placed it on a towel I had placed earlier on the passenger seat. Pulled through the drive through and parked. Pulled out a wipe and wiped hands, steering wheel, gear shift, etc. Then used by own sanitizer, because really, now a days who travels without it.

Honored Contributor

Wow. That is crazy.

I had to be Covid tested last week.  I was sent to a hospital drive-thru.  I had to drive around the back of the building and pull through what almost look like an ambulance bay. 

I pulled up with my required mask on and I had to show my ID through my window.  The women working this area were in scrubs and wearing a mask.  They confirmed I had an RX for the test and they took a big ziploc baggy with a swab and container in it and put it under my wiper blades.  I was then directed to move up to another table.  The women working that table looked like they were in hazmat suits including wearing a full face shield and a mask.

I was directed to roll my window down and put my mask just under my nose.  I was swabbed, my swab was dropped into the container which was then put in the baggy and I was told I could leave.  The entire process from start to finish was under 5 minutes.        

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I never use CVS for prescriptions etc. I use the small pharmacy in my small grocery store. No drive thru but in and out in a minute. There is also a local privately owned pharmacy which is the same.  

Esteemed Contributor

Presumably this would be the same person giving flu shoots inside.

Retail pharmacies are not safe places.

One of our biggest outbreaks was at an outpatient pharmacy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cozyseeker That sounds like a terrible situation! My CVS has two lanes going, one for the tests and one for the prescriptions. There is a sandwich board showing which lane to go to, and there are different people attending to the lanes. I wonder why all CVS pharmacies don't follow the same protocol.

Respected Contributor

I'd call my local health department and report them.  No excuse for that!