Trusted Contributor

@croemer   No SSN on the account.  I can only guess that I have had a Q card for so long and the Q didn't ask for SS back then.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@croemer   No SSN on the account.

WTHECK?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Is the account in your name only or are you married & the last 4 #'s they want are your DH's? If that's not the case I would call Synchrony Bank back & talk to someone else that knows how to help you.

All I did was login to my account & click I wanted paperless statements. I never had to send a copy of my SS# & drivers license.

I receive an email monthly from Synchrony Bank for my Q card statement if I owe any money.

This is the header of the email I receive.

Q.PNG

my name here

Your QCard Statement from Synchrony Bank is Available Online

I don't click on their link in email to view my statment. I go direct to their site to login.

Honored Contributor

My identity was stolen by an employee at a Dr.'s office I use and they tried to file taxes in my name.

HUGE ordeal to prove to IRS that I am who I am.

I now have a PIN code sent to me every year from IRS when we file our taxes, to assure that it's really me.

I don't think any entity should be allowed to require your SSN #, as a form of 'identification', but that's based on my own experience.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

No, I would not mail those documents to them either.  I had a similar situation several years ago.  I belong to a professional organization, I have been a member for over 20 years.  Before everything became all computerized.  There are now a lot of things and assistance available online and when I tried to set up an online account with them; the last 4 digits of my SSN did not match.  Perhaps it was a typo from back in the past; it could have been my error or their error but I declined to fax them a copy of my SSN or my pays stub.  I totally understand that they just wanted to verify my SSN but I wasnt comfortable doing that and there was no need since my membership with them was not a necessity of life.  I didn't need them.  The person I spoke with referred the issue to someone higher who came up with a solution for me.  He terminated my old membership.  He told me to wait 72 hours and then start a new membership.    After 20 years everything was different; my address, my phone number and of course the last 4 of my  SSN since the old one was incorrect anyway.   Their system would see me as a new person.   I set up a new membership and everything was hunky dory.   

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

My identity was stolen by an employee at a Dr.'s office I use and they tried to file taxes in my name.

HUGE ordeal to prove to IRS that I am who I am.

I now have a PIN code sent to me every year from IRS when we file our taxes, to assure that it's really me.

I don't think any entity should be allowed to require your SSN #, as a form of 'identification', but that's based on my own experience.

@KingstonsMom 

ITA with you on that. They can use birth date & drivers license number.

This is why I need to get our taxes filed before someone else tries to file for us. The IRS should give everyone a pin code that way they don't have to worry about someone else filing some other persons taxes. I imagine the scammers would just get the pin codes. They need to get a life of their own.

Honored Contributor

I would never turn over a copy of my DL and SS to anyone.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz   That's the problem, I need to create an account before I can login and it won't let me.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Nightowlz   That's the problem, I need to create an account before I can login and it won't let me.

@grandma2pkmh 

If I remember right I had to enter my credit card number to get in to my account after I received card so I could set it up.

I would think you could get on using your card #? At least that way you could enter your SS#. You won't have a choice on that. They want to make sure you are who you say you are.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@grandma2pkmh 

Then I personally would say that it's not that important to generate a paperless statement, if you HAVE to provide your SSN #.

It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.