Esteemed Contributor

Jeez, I never heard of drain flies, yikes!    We always have fruit flies but I assumed it was the banana's as I always have banana's in the house.   I'll have to try the bleach/hot water thing down the drain in case.  I have a fruit fly catcher on the counter and it works fairly well.  I put the apple cider vinegar and dish soap in it.

Respected Contributor

I'm wondering if all manor of tiny gnats hatch in spring and again in fall because I am seeing tons of tiny gnats floating on the surface in the pool. They look like the same kind that left nasty itchy blistery bites. We couldn't open the windows, they come through the screens. Seems much worse than in years past. 😢

Frequent Contributor

Do you have indoor plants?     I recently grew an avacodo from seed and put into dirt.

No I have what is called fungus flies.... VERY VERY close to the look of a fruit fly.

They adults live up to a week and lay eggs in the moist dirt of the plants.

To solve:   1. put sticking catching objects to catch and kill aduts and use mosquito bits in the top of the dirt.   

2. same sticky objects and add sand or pebbles to top of dirt.

3. same sticky objects and water with a mixture oof hydrogen peroxide and water.

And it is recommended to water plants from the bottom so that the roots get the water but the top 1-2 inches if dirt dry out.

A lot of good videos/advice on YOUTUBE.

Respected Contributor

Yes, if it's just gnats, it could be from overwatered houseplants.

Drain flies look like Mickey Mouse when they land, bigger than gnats.  Put a little bleach down suspect drains.

Respected Contributor

@shopped out, that's exactly what I was thinking! That they're not fruit flies, but fungus gnats which live in the soil of house plants.

I've been dealing with those darn things for months & months now.

I repotted all my plants not once, but twice with new soil, used an organic spray, and even put multiple sticky traps around each plant.

Those gnats are relentless.

What I'm probably going to do today is go and buy some fine sand to pour all around each plant.

Such a PITA.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Re: Fruit flies...Help!!!

[ Edited ]

That's happened to me a few times. I think they ride in on produce every once in a while.

My trick is I get some oranges. Eat the oranges, or any fruit with a peel. Then I put the peels in the bottom of a plastic grocery bag and leave it wide open over night. That draws them all to the bag and lets them get comfortable. Then I tie shut the top of the bag and throw it out in the trashcan outside. That leaves a few quick ones not caught. Repeat.

Make sure there is nothing else out for them to eat except the orange peels. No pretty fruit in a bowl etc. The few fruit flies you didn't catch the second round will leave or expire from not having any food sources -- and therefore no energy to reproduce. They have very short lives.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Storing fresh fruit, including bananas, in the fridge will help, too.