Occasional Contributor
I have been infested with fruit flies...no exposed food, no sticky or wet spots..can't find source
have treated with fly traps am collecting them but can't get rid of them..any help please?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Fruit flies...Help!!!

[ Edited ]

We do bleach and hot water  in the drains, 3 days in a row...does the trick every time; you can also try Vinegar and hot water.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Are you sure they're not drain flies?

Occasional Contributor
I don't see any activity around the drain...have treated it anyway..have no clue of the source?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bunette, I was thinking along the same lines as @Karie2022  and @CelticCrafter...

if they're drain flies (I think also called moth flies), you'll want to use an enzyme drain cleaner.  

Just look online to identify the critters and then see the steps to take.  

Hope you find a good solution!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Terro fruit fly traps work very well for me.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

We usually set out littlle cups of apple cidar vinegar with a couple drops of dawn dish soap to trap them, it works so good. Hope you see results soon, sometimes tomato's or banana are to blame. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's my take.  These are drain flies.   Get 2 small containers, that Saran Wrap type of film can pull tightly over.  

Put equal measures of dish soap and apple cider vinegar in and cover with Saran Wrap, tightly.  Take a fork, make small holes in it, (and put one container, in the kit. and bathroom (drains) and before long the little critters will jump in the "pool". They die in the swim.

They come out here in the fall.  This catches them.  

Every couple of days empty in toilet flush away.  Redo and soon they'll be gone.  

Learned about it on here, a couple of years ago.  

Honored Contributor

The past five years we've been living on a lake. Every year (for 5 years) we are deluged with fruit flies in late summer, early fall. I set many spple cider traps around the house and catch tons! I have to keep my windows closed because they fly right through the screens. We just have to wait for our first frost/freeze to get rid of them. But this is the first year we only had a scant amount. Thank goodness.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I had them in my house this past spring.  What an infestation! They even were on on second floor in the bedrooms.  I did the Apple cider vinegar thing and even bought some professional products. I was catching them, but weeks later, they were still around.

My youngest son put some overly ripe bananas in the covered trash can with the lid off. After a few hours, he put the lid on real fast and took the can outside and disposed of the bananas and the plastic trash can liner.

He did this a few times during a whole day and finally, they were gone.  They are very annoying.  I think ours came in with fresh produce from the market.