Respected Contributor

Re: Front Loader or Top Loader?

I've had both and really don't have a preference.  Both have plusses and minuses.  I've used front loaders for the last 20 years or so and like them fine.  We currently have a Samsung front loader and have no complaints.  

We lived in Europe for 7 years and I don't remember hearing anyone say 'stay away from front loaders; they have lots of problems."  Apparently, they don't becuase I never even saw a top loader there.  

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I had to have a front loader, big mistake. A year ago it literally blew up and I had to get a new washer and dryer.

So happy with my top load Maytag Bravos XL washer and dryer. Makes doing laundry a breeze!

So much so, that my husband said he now enjoys doing laundry! But, I must point out that I have never done his laundry, he says he likes how he does it and that's that! No complaint from me!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Contributor

Speed Queens are the best!  All metal parts, and no electronics to go out.  Plus they have 3 years warranty, longer than any of the others.

Honored Contributor

I despise my Sears top loader without agitator.  I will replace it soon with another top loader without agitator.  I don't intend to go back to the agitator models and most of them don't have enough cycles anyway.  

I can't even consider a front loader because our washer and dryer are in a pantry that goes into the garage, and the front loaders bulge out, so they would be too deep without moving the doorway a few inches.  SO, not doing that!  LOL!!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Top loader with agitator and as few electronics as possible.

I currently have a Hotpoint - not crazy about it because of the low water  levels. I'm doing laundry today and I'm on the 9th load because with the water so low the loads are tiny even on the largest setting. I have been washing since I got up this morning and I still have 2 more loads to do.I don't see that there is any water savings if you are washing twice or three times as many loads.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we bought our house four years ago, we were looking to buy a washer and dryer and I was considering getting a front loader. I heard so many stories of people having problems with them and even the salesman at Sears discouraged me from getting one (and that should tell you something because they are more expensive so he would have made more money on the sale) so we ended up getting a pair of Maytag with a top loader washer.

Honored Contributor

When I bought my last washer I checked what Consumer Report had to say about the new HE washers.  They said all the HE top loaders did a poor job of cleaning.  The HE front loader did a much better job but were overpriced.  That was over 8 years ago so things could have changed.  

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

When we bought our house four years ago, we were looking to buy a washer and dryer and I was considering getting a front loader. I heard so many stories of people having problems with them and even the salesman at Sears discouraged me from getting one (and that should tell you something because they are more expensive so he would have made more money on the sale) so we ended up getting a pair of Maytag with a top loader washer.

@Texasmouse this sounds familiar! When we went to get our Maytag and had been complaining about our front loader the salesman said "The only people who want a front loader are the people who have never had one!" LOL!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Funnygal wrote:

Speed Queens are the best!  All metal parts, and no electronics to go out.  Plus they have 3 years warranty, longer than any of the others.

Actually I just purchased a Hotpoint  at Home Depot and it came with a 5 year warranty.It was the least expensive washer they had there - no electronics.

Respected Contributor

My laundry room is small & the area in front of the washer & dryer is the walk thru to get into my garage, so a front loader was problematic for me if I had to leave the door open on a front loader. 

I have a Maytag Bravos MCT top loader with stainless steel tub & no agitator, which replaced a Maytag Atlantis top loader which the transmission went out on when it was 8 years old & would've cost more to fix than it was worth.  I'm still using the Maytag Atlantis dryer that came with my previous washer as a set & is now nearly 15 years old.  When either dies, I plan on replacing them with a new set with a gas dryer.  No front loaders for me.