Honored Contributor

Re: Friend turned MK representative-not the same.

I have friends that do this to me and my answer is simple, "No.  Thank you for asking or thinking about me, but NO!"

Then I wish them the best of luck and never back off the No when asked again.  If they drive me nuts it's "not on my time and not on my dime".  They get the final message ... and we are all still friends.

Good Luck with getting her to understand and don't worry.  It'll work out in the end.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we first moved in here, a neighbor sold MaryK.  OMG, she was a royal PITA!!  I avoided her like the plague!

Honored Contributor

Tell her that you are an AVON representative.  Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

http://www.pinktruth.com/2014/07/31/the-truth-about-the-mary-kay-pink-cadillac/

They don't get to keep the car, if's a co-lease. Got to make the sales quotas each month or they have to pay part of the payment, all ,or taken away.

There are about 1300 pink cars on the road. 0.2% .  (out of 600,000 consultant's.)

That's interesting...... there' one up here where we live.... (no comment).

I was a rep probably 20 years ago- it was a good basic skincare at the time and I figured I could get the items I needed wholesale. My Manager would put sales in for me and pay for them herself- just so she could keep her car on the road gratis!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm familiar with more than one MLM business and have to say MK is the least friendly!  Reps have to place large orders to get any kind of discount at all.

MK has good products.  Lots of other MLM businesses do as well.  Separate the business from the products.  You can buy the products without signing up to sell them. 

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tell her you value your friendship so any talk of MK or business is off limits and make sure she abides by those terms or otherwise kiss her good bye!

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully this will run its course soon.  I just thought and got to laugh a bit-there is also another neighbor here, a married man w/6 kids and a wife who recently quit his IT job and is now a Rodan & Fields rep.  and he pushes hard on his sales-he will stop to have what you think is a regular conversation about the weather and it turns into a sales pitch. I told my husband it has gotten that I am afraid to walk outside between the two of them now!  LOL.

Respected Contributor

@pegsue  Oh, lawsie.  Never crack under sales pressure or they will never forget.  Maybe humor is the way to handle it.  Man, girl, just not into that....

Respected Contributor

I have been put in this position with a different pyramid/in-home sales company. So awkward. I would tell the friend that you have a personal policy of not mixing business with friendship because her friendship means too much to you. If she is really a friend, she will listen, hear you, and agree. If she isn't a true friend, then, sadly, you will know if she keeps trying to use you in this way. Friends don't push friends. She has offered, you have said you aren't interested, and that should be that. If she cares about the relationship, she will stop trying to sell you something, ask about your life and get on with being your friend.

Esteemed Contributor

If I had a neighbor or an acquaintance (not a close friend, which would require a different approach) harrass me after I firmly said I wasn't interested...I would tell them in no uncertain terms that, if they ask me again, I will file a harrassment complaint against them with the PD.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~