Esteemed Contributor

OMG.  I've lived here all my life and never knew foxes are well represented in this state.  I'm not trying to see one.  I'm used to stories of deer and racoons in the big apple, but not foxes.  I just read a news report about a fox sighting where people are out and about.  He's just trotting along with a rodent in his mouth.  Oh heck no!!!! (Glad he caught the rodent though).

In a place as big and diverse as New York City, it doesn’t matter how eye-catching your outer appearance is—you can still blend in. That’s what makes it such an appealing place for red foxes (Vulpes vulpes). Their striking red coat betrays their general preference for avoiding attention. And when it comes to staying out of the limelight, few urban mammals have been better at it here in NYC.

Though their wariness can make them hard to spot, they do call the city home. Their history in the area dates back to pre-colonial New York. Red foxes prefer open areas with only sparse forest cover. As a result, they have been able to easily adapt to human development. The clearing of dense forests in New York State over the years for logging and farming has created more suitable habitat for them. In NYC, red foxes predominantly reside in the Bronx and on Staten Island. They’re often found in large parks, golf courses, and natural areas. Open, overgrown lots can provide good areas for their dens as well. 

Background 

Red fox populations can be found in many areas of the northern United States. In New York, fox bones have been found at the archaeological sites of some native tribes. This indicates that they have been native to the area for a long time. Some red foxes may have also been brought to the area from Europe by early settlers to establish populations for hunting.

In the 1940s, several New York counties put bounties on foxes. They were viewed at the time as threats to local livestock. However, their large litter size, high dispersal rate, and adaptability have made limiting their populations difficult. Their adaptability includes the ability to shift their diets based on what foods are locally available. In areas where resources are scarce, they can travel up to 5 miles a day in search of prey. Within NYC they have few natural predators, with the possible exception of coyotes in some areas.

Appearance 

True to their name, red foxes have a year-round reddish-orange coat. Their fur tends to be brighter in the winter. The red portion of their coat covers the top of their face, head, shoulders, and back. Their legs are generally covered in mostly black fur. Their tails and ears often feature some black as well. The underside of their face, throat, and chest are typically white.

Red foxes are smaller than coyotes and medium-sized dogs. They usually measure between three and four feet long.  Their long, bushy, white-tipped tails can account for almost half of their length. Red foxes can weigh between 8 and 17 pounds. Males tend to be slightly larger than females. 

Coexistence Tips 

• Do not feed red foxes. Please help keep red foxes wild. Feeding foxes can cause them to lose their natural hunting instincts and cause them to associate humans with food.  

• Observe and appreciate red foxes from a distance. Though they may look similar to dogs, red foxes are wild animals. The best way to ensure both your safety and the safety of the fox is to keep your distance.

• Store all food, and garbage in animal-proof containers. Red foxes are curious and resourceful. They can find ways into unsecured trash bins and pet food containers.

• Protect your pets. Red foxes can carry rabies, canine distemper, and mange. Walk dogs on a leash and keep cats inside for safety. Also make sure your pets’ vaccinations are up-to-date. It’s the law.

• Keep red foxes wary. If you are approached, make yourself look bigger by putting your arms up. Make loud noises until the fox retreats. Appreciate foxes from a distance. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Wow that's crazy! I can picture them walking along the shopping district!😅 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Wow that's crazy! I can picture them walking along the shopping district!😅 

Bite your tongue @on the bay  LOL.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Did you know you've got coyotes in Central Park?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Lot worse then coyotes and foxes

Honored Contributor

"Now are the foxes!" - "The Festrunk Brothers" on Saturday Night Live.

Honored Contributor

there are enough rats in the city to keep the foxes and coyetes happy

Respected Contributor

and i alway thought NYC was filled with cougars and i don't mean the animals.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

So now should we say The Foxes of Wall Street?  Interesting history, thanks

Honored Contributor

Don't be surprised to find out the fox population in NYC has been encouraged by your state Department of Natural Resources.  They're quite good at relocating species!  

WV is now home to far more species of animals than what is considered native to these mountains, thanks to the DNR relocation services.  We now have antelope, coyotes, elk, moose, eastern and western diamond back rattlesnakes, as well as another species of rattlesnake native to NM and CO, and these are just the species I am aware of.  

A couple of years ago I had the chance to ask a local DNR officer WTH is up with all the relocated slithery creatures, and his obvious trained response was "to balance the eco system!"