Respected Contributor

i LOVE my Lamy fountain pens.  

Honored Contributor

Now I want a pretty fountain pen.

With cartridges!  Although I think the ink bottles are kinda sexy.

But messy. Cat Wink

Contributor
I cannot speak to other brands, but hubs gifted me with a Montblanc fountain pen about 25 years ago, and it has worked flawlessly for me. I use a medium nib. I like the ink cartridges best as I can change out the colors quickly. I love writing and receiving handwritten letters! Yes, I'm old school....
Valued Contributor

Fountain pens are one of my favorite things.  I write better, certainly much more legilbly with them.  For $50 ish, you may find a good Lamy.  If you want to go further in price and find more choices, I highly recommend visiting a specialty store.  In my travels, I have a few favorite stores:  Fahrney Pens in DC, Anderson Pens in Chicago, and Scriptura in New Orleans.  These stores have excellent selections and service.  Fountain pens are one of the fine things in life!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

I have and use fountain pens that date back to the 1940s.  I love them!  Check out Levenger dot com for pens and ink.  I've been ordering from them for about 20 years without an issue.  

I do prefer a medium nib but they do use more ink.  

Best idea on this, Yet~

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Oh my Gosh!  When I was in grade school we used cartridge pens!  I KNOW they aren't the same, but the memories of my second grade teacher (a beautiful nun in full robes,) used to pull up her robes and jump rope with us!!!

I went to a Catholic school, although, I was reared Lutheran for a long time.

OH!!!!  I can't believe it!  I remembered Schaffer cartridge pens!!!!

Mine was blue one year, green the next.  The barrel was transparent.

A favorite for high school and college students in the 1960's, pens like this one were commonly referred to as “School Pens.” Cartridges were so easy and quick to replace with no messy bottles necessary.

@ECBG  Me too!  I went to Catholic grade school and we had to use fountain pens,the cartidge type.  I'm left handed and it was awful....smudge city.  Right handers pull the pen across the paper,we lefties PUSH the pen across the paper.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV I've always felt so for left handers and what they went through.  My dad was a leftie.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have always loved using fountain pens !  I too would like a new one and this post is helping me in choices.  It's good to see there are those who also appreciate this writing 

tool.  In the past I would write all thank you notes, birthday cards, correspondence with a fountain pen. It is smooth and easy and made writing fun and never a chore.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon I came across my Fahrney's catalog today and I have some specific suggestions for you!

Retro51 makes some great fountain pens that feature WWII aircraft; sports; scientists; bees, and a ton of other things.  They are very popular and people collect them.  The fountain pens are about $79, not bad for a good and very fun pen!

Conklin makes a number of fountain pens and is a reputable company--they have some pretty Duragraph Nights--$70.  Coronet is $45!  Haven't tried them.

Lamy--German I think? pens are wildly popular and collectable and pretty!  The Al-Star ones are usually $45 to $55; and the very popular Safari is even less expensive.  They I believe do have interchangeable nibs and use cartridges or fill from a bottle.

Kaweco has anumber of pens in your range--a German firm. 

Caran d'Ache 849 in wild colors $65

Valued Contributor

@Christie B  -  I also was given a Montblanc from my husband about 10 years ago.  Hands down the best pen I have ever used!