Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma  I forgot about Levenger; thanks for the reminder.  I still get the catalog around Christmas.  I'll check out their website.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fountain Pen Question

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon  Somehow I missed the pen was to be a gift... In that case, one of the brands Sooner mentioned, Pelikan, might be a nice choice and if you're among those heading out and about these days, Fahrney's is a fun shop in which to browse  if you have one locally... If not, check out their website...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I also recommend Levenger.

I, too, concur with the poster who suggested that you take a few for a test drive in a high end  store. I did this many years ago in the Franklin Store. I'm pretty sure that type of shop has gone by the wayside.

Who knows when the restrictions ease up if there will even be stores reopening that carry unique products like this?

Oh, a thought came to my brain:

A jewelry store may carry nicer fountain pens for you to try out.

Good luck.

dee

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon Any pen you are thinking about, you can probably find lots of reviews online.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 

@Sage04 wrote:

Is it possible to use different nibs in the same fountain pen?

Are they called fountain pens because you can refill them? Why?

This makes me feel like I´m in elementary school again.

Now I´m losing it. Middle School.

@Sage04 Yes, some pens will use different nibs.  I believe some of the Lamy will do that, and they have a lot of models under $50.  And I know some of the Pelikans have nibs that you can screw in and out.  Pelikans and Auroras are probably my favorite pens. But there are lots and lots of beautiful pens at all price ranges that are a joy to write with.  Platinum makes beauties as well!  And Lamy--oh my!  The colors! 

There are cartridges and converters (which are like a cartridge but you can put it in the pen and the cartridge has a mechanism to use bottle ink), piston fillers that will not take a cartridge, various cartridge sizes, etc.  That's why it is handy to order from a pen store and call or e-mail them to make sure you are on the right track.

Fountain Pens run from $5 to thousands.  Some of them write smoothly, some are more scratchy, some nibs are stiffer (some say it's like writing with a nail) and some have a little flex to them.

Japanese pens for the most part have nibs that are about one size thinner than say German pens.  So a Medium in a German pen probably would be broader than a Medium in most Japanese pens.

One of the best parts about the Goulet Pen website is that have actual samples of writing from most pens showing you the actual difference of medium, fine, broad, double broad, stub and other nibs in different pens.  It's very helpful!

Most retail sites have reviews from people who have bought the pens as well and they are very helpful.  Inks come in so many beautiful colors it is mind boggling!  

Pens have been a hobby of mine for a long time.  I'm sure most people think it's a strange hobby.  But you would be surprised how many fans there are out there, how many retailers, reviews, and information online. 

I would suggest not buying from Amazon if you can buy from a well-known retailer who knows their product and will stand behind the pen if there is a problem. Most often the pen can be returned if in pristine condition and in original box with all material.  You can test a pen by carefully dipping in ink and trying it out, then wiping clean.  

Sometimes you can't return one if you have drawn ink into it or put a cartridge in and written with it.  Unless there is an obvious manufacturing flaw, not just that you don't like the nib. 

TMI?????  Probably!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I've just been enjoying myself looking through available items on Amazon.

Let me offer a warning, however: the cartridges displayed will not fit every Sheaffer pen. 

The typical, "student-style" pen requires stubby cartridges, which come in burgundy boxes.

If you buy a pen in a store, make sure you get cartridges that will fit.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon   Fountain pens and all things stationary?  Perhaps they would like something from Victorian Trading Company.

Respected Contributor

Do they still make/sell regular fountain pens? 

Ages ago, I had a Parker Pen.  Later on, I used a Cross Felt-Tip Pen.  Don't know if either is still around.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I also recommend Levenger.

I, too, concur with the poster who suggested that you take a few for a test drive in a high end  store. I did this many years ago in the Franklin Store. I'm pretty sure that type of shop has gone by the wayside.

Who knows when the restrictions ease up if there will even be stores reopening that carry unique products like this?

Oh, a thought came to my brain:

A jewelry store may carry nicer fountain pens for you to try out.

Good luck.

dee

@deedledeedeedle So sorry I forgot to respond to you last night.  Thank you for the suggestions.  I didn't even think of jewelry stores, although I'm not sure if they're open in CT.  I have one near me, so I will definitely give them a call to see if they offer pens, and to see if they are open at this time.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine  Thank you for the suggestion.