Valued Contributor

Re: Former QVC Exec. Sues Reality TV 'Matchmaker'

I feel badly for her. She is in a similar position as many other women in her age group who are not interested in making moves on married men or dating jerks or criminals. As our society places such a high value on youth, youthful beauty and great financial success, it is very easy for older men to meet and marry young women, especially if those men are amenable to starting a second family. 

One of my friends had a similar problem on a much more modest scale with a dating service that "screened" the men. There were so many women on the service that the men could date a different way man every night for more than a month. Most of them were jerks. 

Regular Contributor

'Kelleher’s "highly screened" matches for Daggett included men who were married, mentally unstable, physically ill, pathological liars, serial Lotharios, stalkers, convicted felons, and men unwilling or unable to travel and/or the subject of professional sanctions,' Center City lawyer M. Kelly Tillery wrote in the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Philadelphia and obtained by Philly.com

Within hours of Daggett filing the lawsuit on Thursday, both parties agreed to settle. Neither are talking about the case now, citing a non-disclosure agreement, but Daggett's lawsuit gives plenty of detail about her grievances with the California-based company. 

Good for her in reaching a settlement. It sounds like it was a nightmare dating service, eh, gads.

I hope the woman finds someone nice to date in the near future. Life is more fun if you can share it with others.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you watch Frasier? They had a episode with this theme. He was having trouble meeting women so he joined this service. The women he met was really funny. He paid $10,000. The matchmaker was in business for a short time and had very few clients. He asked for his money back. The matchmaker lived with her mother and boyfriend. She did not have the funds to give him. 

The women were all losers. Very funny.

Trusted Contributor

I would have like to been a fly on the wall on those dates.  Had to been some doozies, and they must have done more than meet for coffee.  Woman LOLSmiley LOL

I mean after the first match, and the guy was a nut case, I would have been out.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

too funny.  I'd rather be alone than so desperate as to pay $150k to a dating service. 

@CalminHeart~~~We are definitely on the same page on this one! 

ITA~~~and desperate IS the operative word! 

Trusted Contributor

@elated wrote:

Do you watch Frasier? They had a episode with this theme. He was having trouble meeting women so he joined this service. The women he met was really funny. He paid $10,000. The matchmaker was in business for a short time and had very few clients. He asked for his money back. The matchmaker lived with her mother and boyfriend. She did not have the funds to give him. 

The women were all losers. Very funny.

Do I watch Frasier?  Oh, just every time it is on, as the show still runs back to back episodes in the wee hours of the morning. I remember that show very well, especially when he wanted his $$$ back and she didn't quite have it!  

Oh, how I wish they would make more intellectually stimulating sitcoms these days like Frasier was. As good as Frasier played his role, I thought Niles made that show..... he not only could act ( I mean really act) but do the pratfalls to perfection as well. 

Eddy~~~can't forget him! 

Super Contributor

My boyfriend's aunt is a millionaire and was on some dating service (not sure if she still is) but actually was dating someone who was high up at QVC at one point. He's working somewhere else now.  She met another man who was nice but she is in her early 60s and he was in his 70s and like someone said earlier she didn't want someone that much older and get stuck with health decline, etc

I remember years ago watching the consumer segment of our local news and one of my Dad's relatives was on there.  She had been married to a rich doctor who either passed or they divorced so she had funds to join this "Together Dating Service" which was like $2000 which back in the 80s was a real lot of money.  She was in her early 70s and complaining they could not find her a man Man Surprised

Honored Contributor

She had the money and felt that this was a way to meet "quality" men.  A woman with her financial status would certainly want to be careful.  I'm not going to fault her for spending HER money but I do fault her for not researching this company.

Let's face it-a woman with her $$ isn't going to look for a potential dating partner like most people do-drunk in a bar.  KIDDDING!!!

People want to date   others of like ilk.  I'm glad she was able to settle this and I don't see this as a frivolous lawsutit.    She expected  to be matched with men who were compatible. 

I do understand, though, that after the first date or two the red flag should have been seen.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh